The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Congratulations on the 150th :notworthy:

Cheers Bud!
And one more notch on the old Eddington number as a bonus. 105 x105+ rides.
Only need 7 106+ rides to reach that number :wacko:

Attempt 1 failed. 32'c and 100% humidity in the south of France.

I was doing OK for the first part of the day until the Col d'Osquich (a climb not much bigger than the local Abernyte hill that I can do in ~15 minutes), but ended up overheating to the point of heatstroke.

Lay down in the support van for a bit (and blacked out) and then continued, seemingly renewed but I got hit by heatstroke again 8 miles from the hotel on another climb-that-should-be-trivial and called it a day.

So close to the ton (95.7 miles) but I had nothing left. Had I continued I would have collapsed...
https://www.strava.com/activities/321291898

On arrival at the hotel I got to see my lunch again in quite a noisy manner...
Tomorrow are Cols Aubisque and Tourmalet. So that'll be fun.:surrender:xx(

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Attempt 1 failed. 32'c and 100% humidity in the south of France.

I was doing OK for the first part of the day until the Col d'Osquich (a climb not much bigger than the local Abernyte hill that I can do in ~15 minutes), but ended up overheating to the point of heatstroke.

Lay down in the support van for a bit (and blacked out) and then continued, seemingly renewed but I got hit by heatstroke again 8 miles from the hotel on another climb-that-should-be-trivial and called it a day.

So close to the ton (95.7 miles) but I had nothing left. Had I continued I would have collapsed...
https://www.strava.com/activities/321291898

On arrival at the hotel I got to see my lunch again in quite a noisy manner...
Tomorrow are Cols Aubisque and Tourmalet. So that'll be fun.:surrender:xx(
Fair play for getting so near in the conditions.:bravo: Don't go doing yourself a mischief though.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Bad luck mate. To get so close to the ton is frustrating but to continue with heat stroke could very easily be fatal.
I have suffered from it more than once (not when cycling) be careful for a few days after it takes a little while to fully recover.

Fair play for getting so near in the conditions.:bravo: Don't go doing yourself a mischief though.
Yeah as soon as I knew that I'd crossed the threshold of my limitations I stopped. I may be crazy but I'm no Tom Simpson! Think less "put me back on the bloody bike" and more "put the bloody bike in the van" :tongue:

indeed @Edwardoka , sounded like a brutal day. Take it easy bud. May be teaching
someone how to suck eggs, but make sure you eat and drink. Even if you think you don't need it.
I went through at least a dozen full bidons today, still wasn't enough to avoid it.
Based on visual evidence, my lunch clearly sat in place with no digestion happening at all for most of the day. xx(
I think tomorrow calls for soup and cake. :okay:

Bad luck mate. To get so close to the ton is frustrating but to continue with heat stroke could very easily be fatal.
I have suffered from it more than once (not when cycling) be careful for a few days after it takes a little while to fully recover.
It is pretty awful. Went from 700m/h vertical speed to under 200. 2mph, tunnel vision, seeing everything in monochrome. Still feel like shoot, but there's a thunderstorm happening as I write this so hopefully that will scrub the humidity from the air!

Top Bottom