The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fairy muff mate... it was just a suggestion rather then a rule addition that had to be adhered to.
Have you any other thoughts on anything that may need added or tweaked?

How about a points score, where (only) if you do more than one century ride in a month, you get a point for each ride over the initial ton , and a point for each ride you get on a round number? That would be a giggle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How about a points score, where (only) if you do more than one century ride in a month, you get a point for each ride over the initial ton , and a point for each ride you get on a round number? That would be a giggle.

This challenge is ONE century ride a month. Always has been, so it will stay that way.
I want to encourage other/new riders, not turn it into a willy waving contest. :okay:

People should be allowed to post more than one ride a month. It's a proclamation of discipline, dedication, fitness and resolve.

And if it can't be done on this thread than there should be another one set up. The century a week thread will be set up in January for thosr wanting yo test themselves.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
People should be allowed to post more than one ride a month. It's a proclamation of discipline, dedication, fitness and resolve.

And if it can't be done on this thread than there should be another one set up. The century a week thread will be set up in January for thosr wanting yo test themselves.

5 on 5 consecutive days is the ultimate challenge

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Fill yer boots.

That sounds nasty. DO IT lol:laugh:

5 on 5 consecutive days is the ultimate challenge

Pfft

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The century a week thread will be set up in January for those wanting yo test themselves.

Hats off to anyone who rides a century every week. January will be a real test for anyone trying that. I sometimes work 6 days a week, so 'having to' do a century on the other day could prove to be a real test with winter weather. I'm out :laugh:
Not sure I'll manage the current ton a month next year, if the weather isn't kind to my days off Jan & Feb, it was quite tough this year for me :blush:

Hats off to anyone who rides a century every week. January will be a real test for anyone trying that. I sometimes work 6 days a week, so 'having to' do a century on the other day could prove to be a real test with winter weather. I'm out :laugh:
Not sure I'll manage the current ton a month next year, if the weather isn't kind to my days off Jan & Feb, it was quite tough this year for me :blush:
I did chuckle at the thought, then I stopped chuckling, then I started planning, then I started convincing myself that it is do-able (especially looking at Abraham / Searvogal et al). Now I wish I'd never seen the idea:wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I did chuckle at the thought, then I stopped chuckling, then I started planning, then I started convincing myself that it is do-able (especially looking at Abraham / Searvogal et al). Now I wish I'd never seen the idea:wacko:

It's a very tough call as we can all well imagine.
A couple of years back I managed 12 weeks in a row (recorded in Your Ride Today thread). @sittingbull managed a few more then that a year later. I was ready to go out for the 13th and it was howling a gale. I just thought fek it.. I just couldn't be arsed.

For someone of reasonable fitness with a good base it represents no more then seven hours of riding. There's a whole host of advantages doing this rather then the lesser gimmick of one a month. Come the start of spring you'll be trim having had a good winter base and be hardened to the elements not to mention knowing what works in terms of kit and nutrition. You people should be itching to get started - in fact shall I bring it forward by 3 months? The rest of this month can be spent making sure your bike is in good nick and sitting down explaining to loved ones what you'll be doing over the next year. Shall we start in October?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For someone of reasonable fitness with a good base it represents no more then seven hours of riding. There's a whole host of advantages doing this rather then the lesser gimmick of one a month. Come the start of spring you'll be trim having had a good winter base and be hardened to the elements not to mention knowing what works in terms of kit and nutrition. You people should be itching to get started - in fact shall I bring it forward by 3 months? The rest of this month can be spent making sure your bike is in good nick and sitting down explaining to loved ones what you'll be doing over the next year. Shall we start in October?
'For someone of reasonable fitness with a good base it represents no more than seven hours of riding'.

You've been reading the comic, haven't you, spouting all that gibberish. No-one doing the challenge doesn't have a reasonable level of fitness, and I for one can't do 15 mph for seven hours, on open roads, solo (EDIT- though I've come close more than a few times. 123 miles at 14.4...). Doesn't make me unfit. Done 75 in 5 hours rolling, with strong assistance (stronger than most- serious level audaxers, multiple LELs and PBPs, each). And then I did another century. I'm not going to get any trimmer, thank you very much. No excess fat here.

And, the plain fact is, in Cycling Life, a century a week isn't that hard. I've done multiple back-to-back centuries, I've done a 223 mile day, over 500 miles in a week a couple of times. So's Ian, so have a lot of people of my acquaintance.

In Real Life however, somewhat different. It'll be a lot harder..if you work regular hours, five or six days a week. If you have any kind of non-cycling social life. If you want to take any holiday whatsoever without a bicycle. If you're not single and/or have children. Even if you are single, and you might be called upon for anything else at weekends. If you ever get sick or become injured. And let's not forget the Great British Weather. It snows, it rains, it blows a gale. But perhaps you have pro-level fitness, an independent income, the ability to fly off to warmer climes any time you feel like it, and no interest in anything other than cycling...? As Mr Abraham and Mr Searvogel would tell you, Real Life has an unfortunate habit of biting you in the posterior no matter what you do to minimise its disruption.

You really, really want a proper, sustainable challenge but think a mere century is too easy for you?
205 miler (within a 24 hour period) a month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom