The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
'For someone of reasonable fitness with a good base it represents no more than seven hours of riding'.

You've been reading the comic, haven't you, spouting all that gibberish. No-one doing the challenge doesn't have a reasonable level of fitness, and I for one can't do 15 mph for seven hours, on open roads, solo. Doesn't make me unfit. Done 75 in 5 hours rolling, with strong assistance (stronger than most- serious level audaxers, multiple LELs and PBPs, each). And then I did another century. I'm not going to get any trimmer, thank you very much. No excess fat here.

And, the plain fact is, in Cycling Life, a century a week isn't that hard. I've done multiple back-to-back centuries, I've done a 223 mile day, over 500 miles in a week a couple of times. So's Ian, so have a lot of people of my acquaintance.

In Real Life however, somewhat different. It'll be a lot harder..if you work regular hours, five or six days a week. If you have any kind of non-cycling social life. If you want to take any holiday whatsoever without a bicycle. If you're not single and don't have children. Even if you are single, and you might be called upon for anything else at weekends. If you ever get sick or become injured. And let's not forget the Great British Weather. It snows, it rains, it blows a gale. But perhaps you have pro-level fitness, an independent income, the ability to fly off to warmer climes any time you feel like it, and no interest in anything other than cycling...? As Mr Abraham and Mr Searvogel would tell you, Real Life has an unfortunate habit of biting you in the posterior no matter what you do to minimise its disruption.

You really, really want a proper, sustainable challenge but think a mere century is too easy for you?
205 miler (within a 24 hour period) a month.
That's true. It'd only take one significant 'off' an injury, or an illness, and your attempt would be looking shaky.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyway.. less of the arguing and belittling of others by calling the challenge a gimmick. People put a lot of effort into their rides how ever long the mileage is. A 100 miles may be easy for some but it can be a challenge for others.

So I'm going to keep the rules as were, as they have been on Cycle Chat since 2007.
Nice and plain and simple.

If anyone want's to set up a different challenge. Then there's nothing stopping you doing so.

Good luck to the challengers for this year and roll on 2016 for the new challenge.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my September ride done today, problems with my Garmin show it as only 38.9 on strava though :sad: Went with a couple of clubmates who were ton virgins, so it was very flat & easy going. Lovely weather for the time of year, cold, damp & misty to start, but soon had the jacket off & arm warmers off after a lunch stop, which was £3.80 for a full english with coffee ^_^ hope the weather stays kind for the rest of the week, hoping to get my October ton done early, Thursday or Friday this week :okay:

12079150_10208069268513747_5328373878335290331_n.jpg

sittingbull

Veteran
A couple of years back I managed 12 weeks in a row (recorded in Your Ride Today thread). @sittingbull managed a few more then that a year later. I was ready to go out for the 13th and it was howling a gale. I just thought fek it.. I just couldn't be arsed.

I managed 19 consecutive weekends with one midweek ride thrown in for good measure.I seem to remember getting wet frequently :smile:

sittingbull

Veteran
' Real Life has an unfortunate habit of biting you in the posterior no matter what you do to minimise its disruption.

This is so true, sorry guys, I'm out :sad:

Circumstances have increasingly contrived against me for quite some time now. There have been a number of months when I've scraped through towards the end and if it wasn't going to be September I missed it would likely be another month soon.

It's been good to get this far and if anyone is thinking of taking part next year just do it

Thanks for the support and encouragement and good luck guys :okay:

Circumstances have increasingly contrived against me for quite some time now. There have been a number of months when I've scraped through towards the end and if it wasn't going to be September I missed it would likely be another month soon.

It's been good to get this far and if anyone is thinking of taking part next year just do it

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame to get so far and have to bail :sad:
BUT
By my guesstimation you've done 32 months in a row, which is a major achievement well worthy of celebration! :cheers::notworthy:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Bad luck, but 32 months of tons is great going nonetheless. I'd suggest you try and fit the last three months' rides in if you can- you'll be in a better state for 2016's challenge.

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member

Sorry to hear it - but no matter.

2016?

Martin

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that bud. Shame you couldn't make it to the end. I keep thinking back to how hard my January ride was & don't want it all to be in vain :blush:
November could be a test for me, Mrs Soltydog goes for an op in a few weeks & depending how much care she needs afterwards at home will affect my riding time, but hopefully I should be good to leave her a full day come the last week or 2 or Nov

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@sittingbull
Sorry to hear that bud. You had a really great fantastic run. As Stuart quite rightly said, 32 months of tons is an awesome effort. What is even more awesome is the 19 weeks in a row. That is top draw.

Get your last 3 months of 2015 rides in the bag and I sincerely hope that you sign up for next years challenge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Myself and @Trickedem are out this weekend to get Octobers qualifying ride in nice and early. A trip down to Rye and Camber. Weathers looking really good too
Anyone else aiming to get their qualifying ride done this weekend?

Top Bottom