The Irresistible Rise of the SuperPed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Pedestrians! These days the city streets are full of them. Stepping off the footpath without a care in the world, acting as if they own the road.....

Well, for my money, the SuperPed is a thing of wonder. They've been around the City and along CS7 out to Tooting for five or six years, but I'm now seeing people, mostly of a certain age, walk across the A23 from Streatham Hill to Kennington and pretty much telling the traffic to stop. Grandmas on their way to church, young women catching a bus on the other side of the street, men mooching to the bookies, all of them not having the established order of things. They're doing it in Islington - I saw a man going across Upper Street in a wheelchair (so, not strictly speaking, a pedestrian) with complete confidence. And the traffic just came to a halt.

Have we cyclists reached the end of our brief ascendancy? Are pedestrians going to conquer the world? I'd like to think so.

I wouldn't see it as such a binary thing. Anything, be it increased numbers of cyclists, or increased numbers of pedestrians, has to be a good thing, to reclaim the streets and reduce people's dependency on cars.

Feastie

Über Member
There's a lady in a motorised wheelchair near me who drives it on the road, against 2 lanes of traffic - up a one-way street. The WRONG WAY. But you can't mow down a lady in an electric wheelchair heading straight for you (or anybody for that matter), so people just sort-of swerve to avoid her. On one hand I admire her confidence, but on the other I also think she's got a death wish. Been living in this spot for 2 years now though, and she's still at it. Clearly it works!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's a lady in a motorised wheelchair near me who drives it on the road, against 2 lanes of traffic - up a one-way street. The WRONG WAY. But you can't mow down a lady in an electric wheelchair heading straight for you (or anybody for that matter), so people just sort-of swerve to avoid her. On one hand I admire her confidence, but on the other I also think she's got a death wish. Been living in this spot for 2 years now though, and she's still at it. Clearly it works!
Good on her. :bravo:

Wobblers

Euthermic
So Fab Foodie was right then? :whistle:

(Sorry, low blow [1], couldn't help it - open goal and all that)

[1] Pun very much intended

More peds on the roads would have a positive effect, slowing cars. Cheer em on I say. Can't say I'd be one of them risking my neck on those silly dangerous roads though.

Wait a minute...!

sidevalve

Über Member
More peds on the roads would have a positive effect, slowing cars. Cheer em on I say. Can't say I'd be one of them risking my neck on those silly dangerous roads though.

Wait a minute...!
And cyclists of course - wasn't all that long ago we had a thread about the effectiveness of airzound horns on straying peds.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Does the motor traffic in London actually move at faster than walking pace in places where pedestrians can be found?

Top Bottom