The Irresistible Rise of the SuperPed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They recently-ish replaced the zebra crossing outside Richmond Station with a light controlled one. When I heard of the plans, I thought as a pedestrian it was good news. But actually, what it means is that patch of road used to belong to pedestrians, and cars could only use it when the peds didn't need it. Now it firmly belongs to cars, with a small window for people.

And with the speed of vehicles along there, and other lights, I don't believe it has affected the traffic flow in any way.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Indeed, that's why they often have dummy buttons for pedestrians to press, a placebo to give an impression of control over a facility that isn't for their benefit.
Dummy buttons, the very existence of which simply pronounces on the third-class status of pedestrians in our public space. "You are cattle to be herded. You are sheep to be duped. Drones with only an illusion of control and autonomy."

The very worst aspect of our motor-centric culture. Why do we put up with it?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dummy buttons, the very existence of which simply pronounces on the third-class status of pedestrians in our public space. "You are cattle to be herded. You are sheep to be duped. Drones with only an illusion of control and autonomy."

The very worst aspect of our motor-centric culture. Why do we put up with it?

3206.0.jpg

There's another negative effect of the dummy buttons. There are plenty of pedestrian crossing that never go green unless the button is pressed, yet people don't press them. For instance, I've often come up to the one outside the main entrance to Waterloo, and there are 40 people waiting, with individuals diving between cars. The button has not been pressed, and when you do press it, the light changes almost immediately.

I assume these people have been trained by the dummy buttons that it makes no difference.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Indeed, that's why they often have dummy buttons for pedestrians to press, a placebo to give an impression of control over a facility that isn't for their benefit.
They have them for cyclists too, I'm always surprised at the number who press them when they haven't worked out how a particular set of lights work. The ones I use regularly I get to know.

andyfraser

Über Member
They have them for cyclists too, I'm always surprised at the number who press them when they haven't worked out how a particular set of lights work. The ones I use regularly I get to know.
There's one junction near me where I press the button just for the green man. It can get so busy that cars will try to slip through on red to save waiting. If the green man's on, and they only come on when the button's been pressed, I can at least point to it when someone tries to slip through.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The worst aspect of pelican crossings is the unnecessary delay in changing. I can understand it in the interests of balancing the goes fairly if there has just been a pedestrian phase. When no one has crossed in several minutes though, what sense is there in making the pedestrian wait? A frequent consequence is that they have crossed and gone before the lights change and people in cars sit there fuming. It serves no one's interests.

Not sure if it's urban myth, but I was told years ago that they introduced a delay, so that when little boys pushed the button for a laugh (rather than wanting to cross the road), they'd have to wait for the lights to change, rather than getting instant gratification at getting the lights to change. So the logic being they generally wouldn't bother. However I'm sure the reality now is to avoid delaying motorists.

Anyway, it could be worse - we might still have panda crossings, with flashing AND pulsating warning lights.

jonesy

Guru
The worst aspect of pelican crossings is the unnecessary delay in changing. I can understand it in the interests of balancing the goes fairly if there has just been a pedestrian phase. When no one has crossed in several minutes though, what sense is there in making the pedestrian wait? A frequent consequence is that they have crossed and gone before the lights change and people in cars sit there fuming. It serves no one's interests.
The reason for this is most likely that the system is linked to a wider network of signals and is waiting for a gap to appear in the traffic, so that the crossing can change when it will cause least inconvenience to the people who matter most. In other words, the crossing doesn't change until a gap appear that you'd have crossed on anyway, and because the system will have to be more cautious than a person, it will usually change after you've crossed, thereby annoying everyone!

Top Bottom