The Lavender Fields

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannie has mentioned that she would like to take the bikes down into France next July to see the lavender fields in Bloom.

I did a quick search and found they are close to Mont Ventoux, which I didnt know.

For anyone who has been and stayed down there we would appreciate some advice about best villages to stay in, which airports, trains from airports, bike hire, other rides in the area, etc

I will be going through all the Ventoux posts on here and taking tips from them.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, we were down that way a few years back, stayed in Roussillon which is south of Ventoux. There is some great cycling around that area and lots of lavender fields too. Sénanque Abbey is nearby too which is famous for them. Next we are cycling down that way again on our Coast to Coast trip.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Hop Shop.... near chez moi!

Castle_Farm_004_1.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We will be over in mid August for a wedding in Hull. I was intending to overnight in your area as I believe some of the scenes of Stephen Frys, Kingdom was shot around there. We enjoyed the programme.

You have given me more to think about now. ^_^

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
July & August in the Drôme area for lavender, if you want to explore this area which is about 40 miles north of Ventoux, and a bit later for the lavender. There are several distilleries around, some of the set up for visitors - I passed four on one ride last summer. Along with walnuts and wine, it's one of the more obvious agricultural products of the area.

Here's an oft-photographed field (post harvest), near the bottom of the climb to Col de Rousset, near Chamaloc.

wpid-wp-1445898363971.jpe

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sault has lots of lavender fields. It's close to Mt Ventoux and it's in quite pretty countryside. If you are staying in the Vaucluse, don't forget to visit the Dentelles and also to try the local wines, Gigondas and Vacqueyras. They are really good.

I would go with slowmo's suggestion of staying at/near Sault. The lavender fields are on your doorstep and MV is a short ride away(!). As you may know, Sault is the starting village of the third and easiest route to MV summit. It joins the route from Bédoin at Chalet Reynard, only 6 kn from the top. I don't know Sault itself well having only ridden/driven thru it but I'm sure it would cover all your basic needs.

Nearest international airport is Marseille, about 1.45/2 hrs drive to Sault (1.30 hrs to Bédoin) - were you planning to fly and pick up a hire car?
Nearest train station is Avignon but I'm not sure this is of help from where you are! (Bédoin 40km distant, Sault 70km)
Bike hire is easy from either Bédoin or Malaucene (the village the other side of MV). Not aware of hire available in Sault.
You are spoilt for choice of other rides, wherever you end up staying. Sault has the advantage of being very close to the Gorge du Nesque - unmissable by bike! There is no shortage of ride options!

How long do you want to stay in the area?
What is your accommodation budget - huge, minimal, camping?

Am happy to offer any other help, if I can, ask away, however most of my experience is from the Bédon side and westwards.

Top Bottom