The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, I understand. I'm keeping it straightforward and listing all the rides that qualify. Might even see if I can manage a double point ride for this challenge if things go well later on.^_^ Only need to manage 15km on top of my best so far.:heat:
I am still hoping to organise a 200 km audax-style forum ride in Cheshire in June, which you'd be welcome to join us for. It wouldn't be done officially with an agreed route, timestamps and so on, but we will aim to do it at audax speed, say 15-20 kph (9.3-12.4 mph) overall speed. I am working on the details and will start a thread after I have ridden the Tour de Yorkshire sportive in early May.

Oh, and don't forget my postponed Glasson Dock forum ride on 18th April, link in my signature below this post!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I am still hoping to organise a 200 km audax-style forum ride in Cheshire in June, which you'd be welcome to join us for. It wouldn't be done officially with an agreed route, timestamps and so on, but we will aim to do it at audax speed, say 15-20 kph (9.3-12.4 mph) overall speed. I am working on the details and will start a thread after I have ridden the Tour de Yorkshire sportive in early May.

Oh, and don't forget my postponed Glasson Dock forum ride on 18th April, link in my signature below this post!
I haven't forgotten the Glasson Dock ride and hope to join you. It's too far out for the forecast to be accurate at the moment but what I've seen looks promising.^_^

June is a bit more tricky as a few things are going on. I would like to join you for the 200 if it's one of the days I'm available.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Fubar - no objections at all. My 170k on Friday/Saturday was equally un-Garmined.

My Garmin stopped working rather dramatically on the Bognor night ride, by hitting the road and ejecting batteries and memory card on impact. An eagle eyed rider managed to find the micro SD within seconds of me saying "I'll never find the memory card". Unfortunately it now rattles. And does not know where it is. These are not good signs.

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar - no objections at all. My 170k on Friday/Saturday was equally un-Garmined.

My Garmin stopped working rather dramatically on the Bognor night ride, by hitting the road and ejecting batteries and memory card on impact. An eagle eyed rider managed to find the micro SD within seconds of me saying "I'll never find the memory card". Unfortunately it now rattles. And does not know where it is. These are not good signs.

Nice one - even if I was on the edge I would have gone round the block to make sure! As it was 8k short I was confident I had made that up.

Bummer about your Garmin :sad:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've just got back from France and found the latest (Spring) edition of the Audax UK magazine "Arrivee" on the doormat. Opened it up and found a write-up of the Jack & Grace Cotton 100k on page 22 ..... and who should appear among the photos? I don't remember discussing image rights beforehand.
If you are wondering which ugly bugger I am, it's the picture immediately below the final words of the write-up.

Hoorah! I have finally achieved three long-standing goals:
- Get into Nidderdale and cycle up Trapping Hill (it's a bit far from here - I needed lots of daylight).
- Exceed the annoyingly high total distance and total climb I set, moving rather slowly, seven weeks after starting cycling.
- Get a 100km ride in on the first of the month.

The headwind on the outward leg has distinctly over-taxed my legs, but still, good result :-)

This Metric Century challenge is proving very motivational. Thanks to everyone for creating it and making it entertaining.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
May account opened. We rode with a friend who unexpectedly found that his application for Ride London was accepted. He was thus faced with the job of buying a bike and getting fit. He's making a good fist of it. We rode from Orpington to Brighton - 50 miles. His longest to date.

What lovely weather. Kent, Surrey and Sussex were looking fantastic.

I managed to sneak in a quick 20km before meeting up so that my total was 105km.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Anyone else struggling with this challenge? Everyone else seems to be churning out mutiple qualifying rides every month like it's easy. I can't imagine doing more than 12 in the year.

Looking at it from the positive side, I guess the challenge must be pitched just about right for me, as I really am finding it to be a true challenge, but I'm still hanging in there. I can appreciate that in order to achieve it, I have to have a structure to my exercise regime and that is a good thing. I'm now way ahead of any previous years' mileage for this time of year, and I'm definitely getting fitter and feeling the strongest I've ever been.... it's just that I thought it would start getting easier as the warmer weather came along, and it isn't.

My January and February rides came along immediately after I had a heavy fall on the ice, and were nervewracking as well as damn cold. March was a bit more straightforward but no less knackering. Then came April and a mechanical that nearly turned out to be a game ender, as I had to do the last 25 miles with a broken saddle. I was hoping May would feel considerably easier, but along comes a 30mph headwind for the last 30+ miles, and I finished it virtually on my knees again. I imagine the next variable will be scorching hot Summer weather and the risk of sunburn or dehydration - or illness or something else I haven't foreseen yet. Guess that's what makes it a genuine challenge doing it for a whole year.

I am certainly starting to appreciate the scale of what I've taken on. I'm the kind of bloke who'd never consider quitting unless I was in the back of an ambulance, but right now I'd feel a lot better if I thought anyone else was finding it just the teeniest bit difficult too - and not just regarding it as a few nice jaunts every month, Doesn't help that I just bought a new set of bathroom scales and discovered I'm a stone heavier than I thought I was. If I'm over 20 stone now, it makes me wonder what the hell I weighed when I rode up Bealach na Ba last year! At 6 foot 6, I do seem to be way bigger that anyone else out there on the audax circuit, so I just tell myself to ignore what everyone else can do with ease and just achieve whatever I can achieve myself.... and claim everything as a Veterans Super-heavyweight record. So far so good.

Hey, ho. Five down and seven to go. Time to quit my bellyaching and just knuckle down to it. Despite the above whinge, I am still loving my cycling and enjoying the scale of this challenge ... even though I'm always too sore to even think of sitting on a bike for a couple of days after every 100km ride. My work colleagues can't comprehend why anyone can or would ride 100km, so I guess I'm in illustrious company here. Reckon I'll stick around. You don't get rid of me that easily.

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Glad to see that really positive last paragraph :-) The point that non-cyclists can't comprehend 100km+ is particularly pertinent I think: it is a long way, and doing it once doesn't make it not a long way the next time!

It's funny how your perception of 100km changes as you cycle more. Like you say, non-cyclists can't imagine cycling that far. Now, after 3 years on the bike, a flattish 100km is a very pleasant ride that I wouldn't particularly worry about or plan for. A hilly 100km (like the one I did on Sunday with 2000m of climbing) is a different kettle of fish.
I'll stick at the challenge. I'm going to try to mainly do hilly 100s but may sneak in a flattish one or two if I'm struggling

No way I'll do the Imperial challenge. 100 hilly miles (so about 10,000ft of climbing) is too hard to be enjoyable for me

Anyone else struggling with this challenge? Everyone else seems to be churning out mutiple qualifying rides every month like it's easy. I can't imagine doing more than 12 in the year.
I wondered why I was still watching this thread when I clicked the link. Now I know why.

Stop comparing yourself the other riders still in the challenge. Compare yourself to the ones who aren't attempting this, or fell (in my case, literally) at the first hurdle.

Kudos and keep going.

Top Bottom