The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know! It just strikes me that anyone who has got 12+ points at this stage in the game is probably up for the gold star challenge.
Is that the imperial one?

I'm not sure about that. For me 100k is a moderate challenge outside of the winter months, but in winter it's quite tough. Finding enough daylight hours on a winter's day to do 100 miles is a bit much for me.

I know! It just strikes me that anyone who has got 12+ points at this stage in the game is probably up for the gold star challenge.

I entirely see the logic, but I, for one, am highly unlikely to attempt the imperial one for the simple reason that I 'don't do mornings'. To get an imperial century done around here in the dark months I'd have to get up about 3-4 hours earlier than I feel comfortable doing. (For the eagle-eyed: yes, I did start at just after 0500 on Saturday, but that was since I needed to get somewhere, and I achieved it by not going to bed in the first place, thereby avoiding the issue of getting up early :-) It's not something I propose to do often though!) For me, in January/February, the 100km target is just achievable as it means I have to get going by 1030, which scrapes narrowly into the 'tolerable' category.

As ColinJ says, it's only a bit of motivational fun and it works very well for me; the imperial would be ...... demotivating (for me) ;-) .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is that the imperial one?

I'm not sure about that. For me 100k is a moderate challenge outside of the winter months, but in winter it's quite tough. Finding enough daylight hours on a winter's day to do 100 miles is a bit much for me.
+1; but substitute the bold for "any day" :smile:. 100km is quite an effort, but do-able (obviously!). 100 miles is something I have managed on a handful of occasions over the last few years, but adding that extra 37 miles makes a world of difference. I'll stick with the metric challenge, and at my age I don't see regular 100 mile rides becoming a reality.

fatjel

Veteran
I chose to do the metric 100 rather than imperial as until march this year I hadn't ridden 100 miles..
Next year maybe.. Am toying with the idea of a 200k audax a month

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Fair enough, everyone. Just checking that the challenge bit of the challenge was there. :tongue:

Question. On Saturday, someone in my cycling group has organised transport to take us down to Devon for a gentle pootle around the Exe Estuary. I've no idea of mileage but if it's more than 30 I'll be amazed. I'm thinking of cycling down (approx 40 miles) and just getting a lift back to Taunton. If the ride's more than 25 miles, I've bagged my July metric century but if it's under 20 miles, I'll have to count my ride home from Taunton to top it up. I assume that will count, despite the 45 minute drive?!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You've confused me there @coffeejo but despite that the answer is yes.

If you've ridden 100k in the day but had a break for whatever reason (eating, or in this case driving) I would have no objection.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Struggling at the moment. Had to take a week out with icepacks, anti-inflamatories and rest. Took on a beast of a hill last week and paid the price for not checking my saddle height. (Had a new seat post fitted recently and thought it was OK). Turns out it was an inch too high, and that was enough to leave me straight-legging for a mile uphill. Almost lame on Monday morning with tendinitis in my knee. Fingers crossed that I might be able to do a short, flattish ride tomorrow. But have pulled out of a 111km audax that I was due to do in Worcestershire, and I don't dare do the club ride tomorrow as it's a very hilly one.

I've got a holiday in the French Alps coming up soon, and if push comes to shove I'd rather bale out on the challenge than miss the chance to take on one of the big cols. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in a flat century ride locally before France without risking my recovery. Hate the thought of quitting after all the effort in the last 7 months.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3831858, member: 259"]Did my monthly 120 km today. I am not physically used to this and it was very hard work.[/QUOTE]
How come you are not used to them if you do them every month? :whistle:

(Maybe you don't do enough shorter rides in between?)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3832159, member: 259"]I've hardly ridden the bike since April - work, being abroad and idleness have all contributed.[/QUOTE]
Ah, that wouldn't help!

I used to really suffer on my hilly forum rides because they were often the only long(ish) rides that I did.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Ouch - I can well imagine an inch too high being not at all good :-\ Best of luck fitting in the century before it's too late, though depending where you are in the Alps, there /are/ some relatively flat bits!
Planning on doing the Col des Aravis for certain, plus quite a bit of gentle stuff down in the valley below Annecy. Might also get the chance to do either the Col de la Colombiere or the Cormet de Roselend, or might drive South to do the Lacets de Montvernier. Not sure now. As for the challenge, I didn't get out today after all. No longer in pain, but you just know when things still aren't quite right. I might do the smart thing and make it a 2 week complete break and see how it goes from there. I won't give in lightly.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Pft. Two weeks left of August and thanks to a bad back, sore knee and other issues, I've not even managed a metric century in a week let alone one ride. Two weeks left or the misery I endured on those qualifying rides in January and February will have been for nothing. :cry:

Top Bottom