The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In contrast to @Fubar I had a great trouble-free ride today. Last weekend was a painful grind, so I decided to reward myself today. I had a voucher for rail tickets burning a hole in my pocket, there was a brisk wind forecast from the WSW, so I got up at the crack of sparrow, went to Crawley and positively zoomed along the generally flat roads to Whitstable, and still had plenty in the tank at the end. It rained most of the way, but not heavily, which didn't put me off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Man that was hard today! Took a solo ride out to the Clackmannan Bridge and crossed the Forth (with a headwind the whole way), took the usual single track road to stay away from the main roads - cyclist going the other way shouts something (which I don't catch but give him a thumbs up anyway), half a mile on the road is flooded with no view of the bottom. I could see the exit approx 500 yards on, and a ridge on either looks "doable" so I lift the bike and go for it - mistake! My feet start sinking and shoes fill up with freezing water. I hopped into the farmers field which was better but muddy, but then have to hop back onto the ridge as the field is flooded - more bleddy water!

That was all 30k in, so spend the rest of the ride with wet feet. Never mind! Novembers 100k - done.
Well done! I am avoiding riding in this crappy weather and am desperately hunting for a 6 hour spell of acceptable weather for my November metric century. Monday is not looking brilliant with strong winds AGAIN but at least it should be dry. I'll see if I can drag myself out shortly after the morning school run.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the December ride!

It's been 'a bit inclement' around here in west North Yorkshire, and looking to stay that way for a while :-\ My ride on Thursday was in a weather window, which closed a bit early (as I was half way up the Cross of Greet Colin) about an hour from home. Nice, to have 45mph gusts and torrential rain heading down a long descent of what in places more closely resembled a river than a road. Still, nothing to your 500m walk Fubar; I'd not swap.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh crap ... the flood sirens were tested here a couple of days ago and they have just gone off again. They don't test them at 23:07 ... Looks like the Calder Valley might be about to flood AGAIN! :eek:

Oh crap ... the flood sirens were tested here a couple of days ago and they have just gone off again. They don't test them at 23:07 ... Looks like the Calder Valley might be about to flood AGAIN! :eek:
Uh oh :-\ I hope it's not too serous, Colin, and not just because I'm only 50km away and it's hitting here pretty hard too. Looking back to my rides last November, it must have been substantially nicer then.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am not in the actual flood zone but I feel really sorry for those who are. Property prices are hit hard, flood insurance is either unavailable or very expensive. They are only just getting over the bad floods of 2 or 3 years ago.

Coincidentallly, I was in the bike shop in Hebden Bridge a couple of days ago when a representative of the local council called in to drop off some documents about flood prevention measures. I heard him say that grants might be available to have anti-flood barriers fitted to doorways in the flood zone.

Fubar

Guru
In contrast to @Fubar I had a great trouble-free ride today. Last weekend was a painful grind, so I decided to reward myself today. I had a voucher for rail tickets burning a hole in my pocket, there was a brisk wind forecast from the WSW, so I got up at the crack of sparrow, went to Crawley and positively zoomed along the generally flat roads to Whitstable, and still had plenty in the tank at the end. It rained most of the way, but not heavily, which didn't put me off.

I have a train voucher too, was considering using it for December's ride - head west as far as I can then get a taily all the way home! :biggrin:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a train voucher too, was considering using it for December's ride - head west as far as I can then get a taily all the way home! :biggrin:
I can recommend this approach. I was really motoring yesterday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's been 'a bit inclement' around here in west North Yorkshire, and looking to stay that way for a while :-\ My ride on Thursday was in a weather window, which closed a bit early (as I was half way up the Cross of Greet Colin) about an hour from home. Nice, to have 45mph gusts and torrential rain heading down a long descent of what in places more closely resembled a river than a road. Still, nothing to your 500m walk Fubar; I'd not swap.
Cross of Greet in a storm - NO THANKS!

I was up there with @Littgull earlier in the year and I think I commented that it was not somewhere to be in bad weather ...

cross-of-greet-climb-from-cross-of-greet-bridge-jpg.47076.jpg

pendle-hill-from-cross-of-greet-jpg.47082.jpg

Well done!

As for my flood reports ... I called round to see my nephew and sister today and we took their dog down for a walk in Todmorden park. We soon discovered that the flood defences had been employed last night. The main part of the park has been hollowed out to form a storage pond for flood water and there are sluice gates which can be used to control the ingress and egress of the water. No flooding evident on the A646 next to the park today so it looks like the flood prevention work did the trick yesterday. It probably wouldn't be able to cope with 2 or 3 days of continuous rain, but it can act as a vital short-term buffer.

Tod park flood pond.jpg

That is normally a big grassy area, popular with dog walkers! At least that water didn't end up in the houses alongside the river beside the park.

fatjel

Veteran
Interesting weather today..
Snow first thing, followed by howling wind and driving rain then a warm sunny afternoon.
We've been lucky with flooding so far this year tho

Less interesting than that here: snow on the hills, all day; clear, blue sky; not much of a breeze mostly. All good, except for the multiply-flooded roads being covered in many patches of ice for the entire day :-\ Hmph.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yesterdays attempt at getting Decembers ride done failed. Despite the ok weather forecast, it started to chuck it down around the 34 mile mark. Also had a puncture on a Marathon + , so it just wasn't meant to be. Not been out much recently so it was a slow struggle of a ride. Hopefully another chance will arise before the end of the month, but it is December!

Top Bottom