The middle class guide to drinking wine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Does red wine really need to 'breathe' for a while before drinking?
Does white wine really need to be chilled?

Last night's bottle of Pinot Grigio definitely got more quaffable as it crept up to room temp.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Does red wine really need to 'breathe' for a while before drinking?
Does white wine really need to be chilled?

Last night's bottle of Pinot Grigio definitely got more quaffable as it crept up to room temp.

Some reds benefit, particularly if they have a lot of tannins, cheaper supermarket "plonk" and most wines being drunk relatively young then no, unscrew and drink! But to be honest just leaving the bottle open for an hour doesn't achieve much anyway as the surface area of wine in contact with air is very small. You're as well to pour it into a jug or a decanter, if you're posh, and then serve it.

Super chilling a white will tend to numb the flavour slightly, so yes you might get different tastes as it approaches back to room temp. Arguably left out of the fridge for a while before serving can help some whites. At said on a hot sunny day, straight from the fridge can be more refreshing.

TVC

Sorry, but from my authoritative position in Richmond-upon-Thames**, the middle class now only drink Prosecco.

**I'm not there now, but my information was up to date 10 days ago.
It is the lower middle classes that drink Prosecco, the real middle class only drink French sparkling wine, or an English if Freddie's cousin owns the vinyard.

[QUOTE 4482842, member: 259"]All the really middle-class people I know drink real ale.[/QUOTE]

I started drinking real ale when I was about 16-17. Don't think there was too much about me that said middle class, apart maybe from my parents. I think I let them down a bit - to start with, anyway. I blame the rugby club, of course.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Bum wine (whether red or white, or green / blue for that matter) always needs to be chilled ice cold. it's very working class to serve it at street temperature.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Not a wine lover.
Don't really get the old wine buffs you see on the telly, sniffing, slurping, swilling it round their mouth then gobbing it into a bucket with phrases such as "hmm, I'm getting a nutty and fruity fragrance with a rustic aftertaste"

You what?

Yes, white wine is best served chilled, but straight out of the fridge is too cold. Makes sense that you noticed the flavour improve as the wine warmed from too cold to its optimum temperature.

Just googled the list below...

Temp F Temp C Wines
64° 18° Bordeaux (best), Rhone , CNDP, Barolo, Cab. Sauv. (US), Zinfandel (heavy), Brunello di Montalcino
63° 17° Chianti Classico & Rioja (Reserva), Barbaresco , Cab. Sauvignon (Chilean/Australian), Pinotage
61° 16° Bordeaux (most), Burgundy (Nuits & best Beaune), Barbera, Shiraz/Merlot/ Pinot Noir (US)
59° 15° Chianti Classico & Rioja (most), Zinfandel (light)
57° 14° Burgundy (most Beaune), Valpolicella (Amarone)
54° 12° Beaujolais , Valpolicella (except Amarone)
52° 11° Chardonnay & White Burgundy (best quality), Viognier , Red Sancerre
50° 10° Tokay, Sauternes, Beaujolais Nouveau, Bardolino, White Rhone (north), White Rioja (oaked)
48° 9° Riesling , Chablis, Alsace , White Chalonnaise & Maconnais, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc
47° 8° Chardonnay & White Burgundy (medium quality), White Bordeaux, Semillon, White Rhone (south)
45° 7° Champagne/Rose (best quality), Sauvignon Blanc, Savenniers, Vouvray, Pouilly-Fume, White Sancerre
43° 6° Ice Wines , White Bordeaux, Muscadet, Anjou , Asti , White Rioja (unoaked)
41° 5° Rose (cheap), Swiss Chasselas, Vihno Verde, Soave
37° 3° Champagne (cheap)
35° 2° Fridge Temperature
0° -18° Freezer Temperature

Top Bottom