The monthly climbing challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg

Regular
Was browsing the audax section and seen their monthly challenge threads. I thought it was a good idea and a way to have a bit of a challenge each month. I thought it might be good to do a MTB version. So my proposal is a monthy points system and you will be awarded 2 points for every ride that has above 2000ft of climbing (the height of a mountain).

Bonus points.

0.5 points awarded for a ride over 1000ft (half mountain)

5 points to anyone who manages 4409 or above (the height of Ben nevis!!)

You can only get either 0.5, 2 or 5 points per ride they can't be accumulated.

If you want to add a link to strava then you can if you don't then it doesn't matter there is no prize its just a bit of fun and a way to challenge yourself a bit.

The ride obviously must be done on a mountain bike and if all the climbs are on roads then it doesn't really keep in the spirit of things so it must be at least predomony off road. Again it's just a bit of fun and a way to challenge yourself. Any takers for November?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Was browsing the audax section and seen their monthly challenge threads. I thought it was a good idea and a way to have a bit of a challenge each month. I thought it might be good to do a MTB version. So my proposal is a monthy points system and you will be awarded 2 points for every ride that has above 2000ft of climbing (the height of a mountain).

Bonus points.

0.5 points awarded for a ride over 1000ft (half mountain)

5 points to anyone who manages 4409 or above (the height of Ben nevis!!)

You can only get either 0.5, 2 or 5 points per ride they can't be accumulated.

If you want to add a link to strava then you can if you don't then it doesn't matter there is no prize its just a bit of fun and a way to challenge yourself a bit.

The ride obviously must be done on a mountain bike and if all the climbs are on roads then it doesn't really keep in the spirit of things so it must be at least predomony off road. Again it's just a bit of fun and a way to challenge yourself. Any takers for November?
Good idea......but I'm off the bike until at least mid-November. I live at 1400 feet in the South Pennines so virtually every ride has a mountain or two in it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Heisenberg

Regular
Good stuff. The idea is to aim for at least 1 ride a month above 2000ft and anything else is a bonus. Although one ride above 2000 ft isn't the world's greatest achievement it may mean more people would be up for it and the more active people could beef up their scores with extra points. I reckon you'll be able to squeeze one in before the end of Nov :thumbsup:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Oh come on ?.....I live in Denmark.

Cant we have to percentage of hills in your country or am I just excluded :0)

Jody

Stubborn git
I will have a shot if we get out into the peaks next month. My normal local Sunday rides only have about 1,250ft of climbs.

Good idea but I reckon I'll be struggling to even get half a point on most of my rides even when I go to a trail centre.

OP
OP
H

Heisenberg

Regular
Never mind all, anyone got any suggestions then? A point for every 500ft or something? Open to any suggestions, an incentive to ride over winter and gives everyone something to chat about too

OP
OP
H

Heisenberg

Regular
I assume they are roads if they were In the tour of Britain, wouldn't really be in the spirit of the MTB forum to include road climbs, you don't even really need to live anywhere mountainous to reach 1000ft in a ride, you could just do a series of smaller climbs, a lap of cannock will put you over a 1000ft of total climbing.

I don't do much off road work on a trike :hyper:, they dont fit though the gaps between trees
taz.gif
etc so easily and its a bit scarey with 3 wheels:hyper: off the ground :cursing::cursing::cursing:

regards emma

Top Bottom