The Moral Of The Story Is..............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had to replace the rear wiper-blade on my Octavia estate, after it possibly got caught on a branch, whilst reverse parking near a bush, & sweeping, catching a twig, due to activating when reverse selected, with front wipers operating

I initially bought a Champion 'one fits all' (with adaptors) blade, for £5.00, from a motor-factors, at the other side of the M62 from us

Twenty minutes after getting back home, about 17:00, with the light gone, numb fingers & rather damp/windswept, it still hadn't slotted in
That's plus the time grovelling about looking for the adaptor I dropped on the floor, which blew over the street:cursing:

"Jigger it!!" was the thought, so I threw it away, drove over to Halfords (near Pontefract RaceCourse) before they closed & bought another blade, with a specific mount built in, this blade was £10.00, though

This time, it took me longer to pay & get my change, than to actually fit the blade, it just clipped in, with a small cover to match the wiper-arm^_^

No more smears, or unswept areas, due to the torn blade

It all brought to mind the old adage

'Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!'

ayceejay

Guru
I bet it took longer to type all that than it took fit the wiper blade...
now did I ever tell you about that time one summer when to was.....

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bosch wipers are good but they dont do the ones for my new car.
well unless you just want a standard blade etc
i put new oe wipers on my new kia..they are special one off thingies..
Main dealer £16.. for a 24' and a 13'.not bad for new front screen wipers..

did you know Volvo wipers are designed to last about 7 mths before they need renewing..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The wind was blowing so hard today that when I topped up the washer bottle on tlh's car most of the fluid blew away. As did the bottle when I put it down.

Grrrr.

did you know Volvo wipers are designed to last about 7 mths before they need renewing..

I seem to remember being told that the blades on my wifes Mondeo ('04' registration) when she had one as company car, when working for her previous employer had a UV affected label
When that was unreadable, the blades were due for renewal, as the UV would have affected the actual blade sufficiently to hamper its effectiveness

Or was someone telling me fibs?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I seem to remember being told that the blades on my wifes Mondeo ('04' registration) when she had one as company car, when working for her previous employer had a UV affected label
When that was unreadable, the blades were due for renewal, as the UV would have affected the actual blade sufficiently to hamper its effectiveness

Or was someone telling me fibs?

well surely the blades are due for renewal when they no longer clean the window properly - which is a lot easier to notice than peering at a little label.

well surely the blades are due for renewal when they no longer clean the window properly - which is a lot easier to notice than peering at a little label.
I'd agree, but it was just something that stuck in my mind, but she was doing a lot of m-way miles, so they were changed at almost every service, upon request
I do recall it had an appetite for front tyres, with the first set at about 8,000miles!!! (130BHP 2.0TDCi)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd agree, but it was just something that stuck in my mind, but she was doing a lot of m-way miles, so they were changed at almost every service, upon request
I do recall it had an appetite for front tyres, with the first set at about 8,000miles!!! (130BHP 2.0TDCi)

I have a suspicion that many main agent garages change wipers casually and charge a lot for doing so.

8000 miles for front tyres for 120bhp - what's she doing; drag racing ?

I have a suspicion that many main agent garages change wipers casually and charge a lot for doing so.

8000 miles for front tyres for 120bhp - what's she doing; drag racing ?
Not that I know of, others had told me that the 3rd shape Mondeo was hard on tyres, but yes, that was ridiculous

My present day Octavia received its first new front tyres at (having just been to check service paperwork) 30,732 miles

Top Bottom