FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Is there any solid law that the recce has to be smaller in numbers than the event itself?
None at all. In effect, there we'll be two rides: the first physically more arduous, the second more fun. Both will be brill. Some people will take part in both, believe me the experiences have been very different.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
There is a longer update on planning for this on the Conversation about it. If you are interested in joining then please say so here & you will be invited to that conversation.
In summary: leave Newhaven September 4th on the 2330 ferry or earlier, leave Dieppe 0500 Saturday 5th; depart Hook of Holland late on Friday 11th or on Saturday 12th having ridden via Abbeville, Azincourt, Poperinge & Ypres, Brugge (Bruges), Hellevoetsluis, Kinderdijk, Utrecht, Amsterdam & Haarlem.
The route is not yet finalised; nor is the date for the recce, so night stops not yet definite.
In addition to your ferries, food & accommodation, costs of any support vehicle we have will be shared by everyone.

Gordon P

There is now a provisional route on the Conversation. If you want more than the summary below & especially if you want to express an interest in joining the Tour, please say so & get yourself invited into the Conversation.
Saturday Dieppe – Abbeville – Crécy – Hesdin 110km
Leaving Dieppe at 0500 on Saturday 5th September, when the night ferry from Newhaven arrives.
Sunday Hesdin – Azincourt – Poperinge 99km or – Ypres 97km
Including an ascent of the Kemmelberg, a cycle race classic cobbled 156m climb.
Monday Poperinge – Westvleteren – Brugge 73km
Including a visit to the Abbey Brewery of Saint Sixtus at Westvleteren – for breakfast?!!!
Tuesday Brugge – Hellevoetsluis 111km over the Zeeland bridges
Wednesday Hellevoetsluis – Zeist 116km via the Kinderdijk World Heritage windmills & Gouda
Thursday Utrecht – Zaandam 85km or 197km
Along the Vecht & then either through Amsterdam or a longer ride through the polders & across the Zuider Zee to some old fishing & cheese towns
Friday Zaandam – Hoek van Holland 112km or 70km
Either via a loop through coastal towns, Edam & more windmills at Zaanse Schans, or directly through the coastal dunes, then Leiden & Den Haag.
Night ferry to Harwich – unless the group wants to stay an extra day.....

Gordon P

Latest thoughts about the recce: I shall stay on after @swarm_catcher 's Brussels jaunt & do at least part of the route - either north to Brugge & into the Netherlands or maybe train back to Dieppe & start from the start to check out Gamaches.... @mmmmartin is going to join me until Tuesday (when he must return to Blighty). Anyone else fancy it?

Gordon P

I have just posted further details on the conversation. If you are interested & are not yet invited to that conversation, let me know.
To summarise, we leave Dieppe when the overnight ferry from Newhaven (leaving 2330 Friday 4th September) arrives. The ride currently will be unsupported unless there are sufficient numbers to justify the cost of a vehicle. But the route is very flat.
Saturday we stay at Hesdin, riding via Abbeville & Crecy; Sunday at Ypres, Monday Bruges, Tuesday over the coastal bridges to Hellevoetsluis, Wednesday via windmillss & cheesy Gouda to Zeist, Thursday a loop east & back to Amersfoort, then up the Vecht & through Amsterdam to Zaandam on Friday & south to Hook of Holland on Saturday.
Ferry home Saturday night, arriving Harwich 0630 Sunday 13th.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Route planning now going on in earnest, and it's looking like an excellent trip. Lots of interesting stuff to see. Gordon and I will ride the (putative) route after the Brussels-Ostend overnighter, from Bruges up to Amsterdam and back to the Hook of Holland.
That leaves the bit from Dieppe to Bruges, which I'll probably nip over and check during a few days in June.
There has been some interest from riders who have not done an overnight Fridays ride: we're treating this on a case-by-case basis. But if you're interested and think you should ride with The Fridays on one ride before committing to a week of lunacy with us, the Whitstable ride (recently unashamedly bumped by me) is a good idea. It's also a good ride in its own right.... obvs.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Route planning now going on in earnest, and it's looking like an excellent trip. Lots of interesting stuff to see. Gordon and I will ride the (putative) route after the Brussels-Ostend overnighter, from Bruges up to Amsterdam and back to the Hook of Holland.
That leaves the bit from Dieppe to Bruges, which I'll probably nip over and check during a few days in June.
There has been some interest from riders who have not done an overnight Fridays ride: we're treating this on a case-by-case basis. But if you're interested and think you should ride with The Fridays on one ride before committing to a week of lunacy with us, the Whitstable ride (recently unashamedly bumped by me) is a good idea. It's also a good ride in its own right.... obvs.
I'm assuming none of those people are that keen on climbing and alfresco catering to join me on the Isle of Wight ;)

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A brief update: @GordonP and I are riding the recce, and it's all going splendidly. There'll be a series of detailed updates on the conversation after we return to the UK.
The Vrienden op de Fiets experiences have been a delight, and we were looked after last night very well indeed by the very excellent @Alan H who accompanied us today to the outskirts of Amsterdam.

StuartG

slower but further
I haven't checked out the route yet but would it include a possible excursion to ... "The Avenue at Middelharnis"

National-Gallery-7253.jpg

There was a talk on it at the National Gallery yesterday. Apparently the scene is almost unchanged since the 17C (though, hopefully one change may be tarmac). More here:
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/meindert-hobbema-the-avenue-at-middelharnis

Attachments

• National-Gallery-7253.jpg
    National-Gallery-7253.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 29

StuartG

slower but further
It would be nice iif we cold incorporate some of the 'Old Masters' into the ride. I shall be starting from here ... not changed too much in 140 years.

pissarro-avenue-sydenham-NG6493-fm.jpg

Attachments

• pissarro-avenue-sydenham-NG6493-fm.jpg
    pissarro-avenue-sydenham-NG6493-fm.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom