FNRttC The not the Fridays Tour 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Is there going to be a loitering within tent contingent? I don't have the budget for hotels every night.
@Gordon P arrives back from Ethiopia on Saturday after an overnight flight so will probably check emails by Monday. The original post on this thread had an email address so send expressions of interest
To Sign Up or if you want a private conversation about the dos & don'ts, the ins & outs, email fridaystour2016@gmail.com with your name and a mobile number.
so @kimble - send one and look out for a reply from that address early next week, inc your Spam folder.

Re camping - the route has broadly been decided on and is based on an assumption that we'll overnight in towns, cos that is what most riders want. It will be recce'd before The Real Thing (obvs) and the recce will check coffee stops, lunch stops, shops, etc etc. It's unlikely the recce will be able to run the route past campsites and check them. Also, remember you'll be carrying your own kit and if you're camping, that'll include everything for camping. But take a look at this brilliant idea:
http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en/
You become a "donor" for €10 and can book B&B that costs €20 per person per night and you get to meet the locals and stay in their own houses. Not everyone likes it, some prefer the anonymity and privacy of hotels, but many used it on the Lowlands Tour in 2016 and it worked well. I like it and used on the three Netherlands cycle trips I did last year.
We'll take the group to a central spot in the town at the end of the ride, which we call Fridays Central and you go from there to your digs and return there in the morning, and we all set off. So if you were camping out of town (many campsites are not in towns) you'd need to come in to town, to see the spot, then go to your campsite, and return to the Fridays Central for the morning. So it may be that camping might mean harder days cycling, and longer, and not necessarily any cheaper.
Plenty of food for thought and no need to make a decision just yet!

kimble

Veteran
@Gordon P arrives back from Ethiopia on Saturday after an overnight flight so will probably check emails by Monday. The original post on this thread had an email address so send expressions of interest

so @kimble - send one and look out for a reply from that address early next week, inc your Spam folder.

That's what I meant by "an email is on its way".

Re camping - the route has broadly been decided on and is based on an assumption that we'll overnight in towns, cos that is what most riders want. It will be recce'd before The Real Thing (obvs) and the recce will check coffee stops, lunch stops, shops, etc etc. It's unlikely the recce will be able to run the route past campsites and check them. Also, remember you'll be carrying your own kit and if you're camping, that'll include everything for camping.

I've cycled the length of Wales (amongst flatter things) with a full camping load. None of this route looks likely to be a problem. Remember that lardy riders on Panzerfietsen aren't particularly affected by luggage mass, especially when there's little in the way of climbing, and the alternative option would involve carrying half the stuff anyway.

More importantly, without camping, it's not really proper cycle touring. It's what I'm familiar with and I find the independence less stressful.

We'll take the group to a central spot in the town at the end of the ride, which we call Fridays Central and you go from there to your digs and return there in the morning, and we all set off. So if you were camping out of town (many campsites are not in towns) you'd need to come in to town, to see the spot, then go to your campsite, and return to the Fridays Central for the morning. So it may be that camping might mean harder days cycling, and longer, and not necessarily any cheaper.

Understood. (It occurs to me that geographical locations can be communicated effectively by means other than showing them to people, but it also occurs to me that organisers don't want to have to trust people to find them.) I wouldn't be interested in coming if I were put off by a bit of cycling.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My various extant relatives are insisting on a family reunion to ?celebrate? the Aged P's passing last year. My place on this splendid tour is therefore in doubt as the two events clash. I know which I'd rather do but tlh gave me a very old fashioned look; it appears incumbent on me to hold the extended family together...

... must have missed that clause in his testament! :stop:

Last year I was very keen to do a part of the Tour but for various reasons it got a bit complicated and I ended up doing a Lord Lucan ( the disappearance, not the other bits, obviously).

This year I am a bit more circumspect, there is no clash with the return to school but work may be complicated However, I will not know that until after Easter. Current hope is that I could join from Aachen to the end. As I have no transport issues and potentially no accommodation issues as I can ride/ get the train to and from start/end points.

In short, I shall follow closely and hopefully have good news by FNRttK or shortly thereafter.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
hopefully have good news by FNRttK or shortly thereafter.
Aha. That would be very good news indeed.

Tacey

Über Member
I'm thoroughly confused...so I feel I'm in good company already! From what I can gather, we depart Harwich 9pm on 9 Sept and come back 18 Sept Dunkirk. Is that right? Are there still seats/rooms in block bookings going spare and is anyone still looking for a roomie?

OP
OP
Gordon P

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I'm thoroughly confused...so I feel I'm in good company already! From what I can gather, we depart Harwich 9pm on 9 Sept and come back 18 Sept Dunkirk. Is that right? Are there still seats/rooms in block bookings going spare and is anyone still looking for a roomie?
Don't be confused! Your dates are correct: all the info you need is I think on the Conversation but I am happy to answer questions.
I don't know about accommodation booking - apart from in Cologne where there is a bed for you.
And I am going to do outbound ferry block bookings this week. Return ferry times will vary & no need to book early but I will post more info on that also this week.

Top Bottom