FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
May I give you something else to ponder during those long evenings sipping beer in Flanders?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-cycled-the-route-from-the-new-france-en-vélo-book.161418/

The mention of Parthenay in that thread pricked my interest - the house we've now spent three weeks in this year and where we're thinking of finding somewhere of our own is outside Parthenay. And I happen to know that there are much better roads south from Saumur than the dull straight one described. I'm tyring to get hold of a route description, but it's not difficult to plot out a possible holiday or three going across the middle of France.

srw

And while you're in Amsterdam you might need to tie @rvw down to stop her popping to the Orgelpark...

http://www.orgelpark.nl/en/agenda

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
May I give you something else to ponder
Your post elsewhere about this was very interesting, and I had a look at the route. It looks good: and the logistics are fairly easy - pretty similar to the Bordeaux trip last year.....but we could do only half of it in one week. Thn the second bit in the following year...... But Bordeaux to the Med could be a pleasant week, but the logistics of getting the bikes there and back in a van are more complicated. Then again, Roscoff to Dieppe does offer easy logistics, interesting scenery and French roads. And Berlin is a nice place, and has the advantage of German roads to get there. So we can expect another of those voting threads to pop up in October, I expect.

ianmac62

Guru
And while you're in Amsterdam you might need to tie @rvw down to stop her popping to the Orgelpark...

http://www.orgelpark.nl/en/agenda
I've been to concerts in the Concertgebouw, the Muziekgebouw an t'IJ, and the Koninklijk Theatre Carré. Opera at Nederlandse Opera and a weird production in a converted dockyard warehouse. Plenty of keyboards but as yet no organs. Concert tickets include interval drinks and public transport. Very civilised.

Last edited:

srw

Your post elsewhere about this was very interesting, and I had a look at the route. It looks good: and the logistics are fairly easy - pretty similar to the Bordeaux trip last year.....but we could do only half of it in one week. Thn the second bit in the following year...... But Bordeaux to the Med could be a pleasant week, but the logistics of getting the bikes there and back in a van are more complicated. Then again, Roscoff to Dieppe does offer easy logistics, interesting scenery and French roads. And Berlin is a nice place, and has the advantage of German roads to get there. So we can expect another of those voting threads to pop up in October, I expect.
If it is of interest, I have a more detailed (day by day) route outline from a commercial provider - freely available from their website. Yes, it would definitely be more than a week as a whole, but I suspect a part might be doable in a shorter time.

ianmac62

Guru
I've been to concerts in ... the Muziekgebouw an t'IJ.
I've got around to studying the gpx files from @mmmmartin and I see we shall pedal past the Muziekgebouw. Three works by Arvo Pärt that day to celebrate his 80th birthday.

srw

I got a text this afternoon to confirm that the day sailing party had got within sight of France. I assume they're now in Eu. The night sailors are probably just queuing up for the ferry.

Have fun, everyone.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We are in Eu. Can recommend the bistro etoile, nice peeps, good grub, clean rooms. Three course Dinner inc beer, wine and Calavados, single room, breakfast for €80. Weather good, and the ride from dieppe was surprisingly pleasant. The main road was busy, as expected, and we opted for the little country lanes through villages. Lovely. And several members, inc @Flying Dodo were very quick to spot the navigational tests I set them.

Top Bottom