FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@frank9755 9.30am from Hellevoetsluis. Coffee elevenses at the golf club to the north of the river. Lunch in De Klok restaurant at Kinderdjik with a buffet menu at about 1.30pm ish.
You have my mobile no.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We are doomed. Doomed, I tell you. Everyone's favourite German has left us. So who will fix my GPS when I break it? And who will put us back on the correct route when I lead the entire ride up a driveway to be faced only with a pair of locked gates?
We're doomed.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
However, Everyone's Favourite Belgian is going to pop by and say hello when we go to the pancake house in Damme, where we expect to be greeted by the lady owner dressed only in a light dusting of flour and a smile.

frank9755

Cyclist
@frank9755 9.30am from Hellevoetsluis. Coffee elevenses at the golf club to the north of the river. Lunch in De Klok restaurant at Kinderdjik with a buffet menu at about 1.30pm ish.
You have my mobile no.
Not sure I do (I'm not very good with phone numbers) but, its 30km from Hoek to Hellevoetsluis so, if I get going by 8am I'll just head over there. If it takes a while to get off the ship, I'll meet you where you cross the Oude Maas after 17km.
Hope you enjoy the ride tomorrow - and appreciate the sheer quantity of sky there is when you are on those big bridges!

I'm trying to work out where to intercept you guys on Wednesday. What time are you likely to set off in the morning?
Oh Frank...let me help!
Just keep a look out for the twirly bearded one who couldn't care less - he'll be wearing distinctive helmet.
Claudine, however, will be in a bar...so make sure you check them all on your way..."Bon Voyage"

A different sort of day today. Setting off from Bruges it was on/off drizzle for a while but once we were out of town, then it was basically following the canal.

After a pancake stop and a brief hello with Els then we headed off towards the coast for a ferry ride. The peleton just missed a ferry so that meant another cafe stop,although it was now sunny Once on the other side, then it became a bit harder, as sadly for a lot of the time we had a headwind, and those cunning Dutch dyke engineers tend to put the cycle path on top of the dyke holding back the north sea. Top marks for giving us a nice view but bad news on a windy day. Some of the structures we cycled over were quite amazing. And we had more space than motorised vehicles. That was the telling thing once we'd crossed into the Netherlands out of Belgium, as the Dutch do things properly, plus the drivers are so much better. I think Belgium, drivers are worse than UK ones for being aggressive to cyclists.

However the route devised by Hinge & Bracket, aka Gordon & Martin really was good, weaving in and out of interesting places. Sadly no photos of the picturesque pancake place for lunch, set in a working windmill. After lunch, it was just a case of following the top of the dyke, until we eventually got to the night stop of Hellevoetsluis.

Hopefully less wind tomorrow!

Attachments

• canal.jpg
    canal.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I can't say I've had any problems with Belgian drivers on my visits. You were good boys & girls and used the (mandatory) cycle paths I hope?

Yes we did, even though they were generally poor quality - mainly badly sealed concrete slabs. The issues were when the paths were narrow strips along the road - often narrower than in the UK, and drivers were aggressive and overtaking dangerously. Even Belgium pedestrians were grumpy. The change once we got to the Netherlands was noticeable.

Last edited:
And now we're in cycling Nirvana. Yesterday was a much different sort of cycling, as we'd moved inland. After Frank found us shortly after the start, then it was all just about perfect. In between towns we were either on separate cycle lanes running near to the road, or using a completely separate network of effectively little lanes, although they're also open to scooters. So we were just rolling along past lovely little hamlets, and fields divided by a multitude of little waterways.

lanes.jpg

Occasionally in towns, it wasn't clear exactly which way to go, but generally if a road had a path both sides, you're supposed to use the one on the right.

What was a bit mind blowing was the fact that often (although not always), when the path crossed a road, the cyclists had priority, meaning the cars had to stop. This was indicated by a solid white line across the road. It's a big change from the UK when you wonder if that car zooming at you will bother to stop.

It's been getting quite warm, so plenty of sun tan lotion going on and the cyclists' tans are re-appearing.

Yesterday's coffee stop was a very posh golf club - apparently golf clubs don't have bike stands as everyone drives to play golf! Then it was a bit more nice cycling for a couple of hours onto our lunch stop where they'd rolled out the red carpet, especially for us.

red carpet.jpg

This was in the heritage Kinderdijke area with loads of windmills which was an amazing sight to see.

kinderdijke.jpg

At this point Rebecca & I left the others as a boil on the top of her leg was starting to rub, so we had a plan B to get a ferry across to Rotterdam meaning only another 8km or so to then get a train, rather than another 50km. Sadly we got caught by their bike ban on trains which runs from 16:00 to 18:30, so we ate in Rotterdam, and then got the train to Utrecht and then a nice little pootle across to our B&B which has a jacuzzi & sauna. Luxury!

Today is a rest day, but I think we'll be going for a wander around Utrecht, possibly on Dutch bikes......

Definitely a rest day for some, although Gordon, Titus and a few others seem to have decided to go and invade Germany for the day, whilst the lure of water-borne pedalling attracted others:-
boat.jpg

After nearly 2 hours, they came back, rather exhausted............

Meanwhile Rebecca & I had hired a couple of Dutch bikes. Very laid back, single speed with just a rear coaster brake. You can see how the Dutch just end up gliding along on these things. I could quite easily live here.

Definitely a rest day for some, although Gordon, Titus and a few others seem to have decided to go and invade Germany for the day, whilst the lure of water-borne pedalling attracted others:-
View attachment 103323

After nearly 2 hours, they came back, rather exhausted............

Meanwhile Rebecca & I had hired a couple of Dutch bikes. Very laid back, single speed with just a rear coaster brake. You can see how the Dutch just end up gliding along on these things. I could quite easily live here.
Very nice. If you see Claudine / call her etc, Adam, there is a message in the Beer thread for her:
In the Drie Dorstige Herten, but with no way of contacting TC et al. Phone is knacked and I'm on my laptop!
From DP. He's bursting to buy all the tourists a beer!!! Bonne continuation.

This is 'double-coverage' - Rich P has probably lit a bonfire and sent the requisite smoke signals already...

frank9755

Cyclist
Lovely day in Utrecht:
- Coffee and apple cake at the Stairway to Heaven
- Ambled across town, dodging the bikes (be careful what you wish for ;-) )
- Got delayed by group visit to a massive, well-stocked bike shop. We all considered what we would do with/where we would keep the bakfiets that is currently missing from
our lives.
- Lunch + beer in the sun.
- Visit to the stunning Rietveld Schröderhuis, with sliding walls to turn a three-bed semi into a party venue.
- Beer in three lovely bars with excellent (mostly Belgian) stock and knowledgeable patrons
- Far too much Greek food for dinner
- Nightcap with @Delftse Post
- Train home and sleep.

Lovely day. Utrecht is stunning!

Last edited:
Top Bottom