The numbness...and ISM saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Getting back into the swing of training and I am getting the well known pins and needles/numbness in the gentleman's area.

I have got a wider saddle fitted for my wide load, however it isn't doing what I was expecting.

Does anyone use an ISM saddle like the attached that could offer some advice as to if these saddles actually offer better comfort vs a non cut away?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ism-pr-30/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have got a wider saddle fitted for my wide load, however it isn't doing what I was expecting.
That may be a mistake - most wider saddles are designed for wider sit bone spacing and you might not have that if by "wide load" you mean you're carrying more weight than you used to, rather than having wide bones. Then if the basic spacing is wrong, the padding positions and densities may be wrong for you and result in it all putting pressure where it ought not be... even if it's not causing the numbness, it might not be helping.

I don't like cut-outs because of the pressure on the edges of the cut, but I guess it all depends what shape you are. Hopefully someone with more experience of the problem and those saddles will comment soon.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
That may be a mistake - most wider saddles are designed for wider sit bone spacing and you might not have that if by "wide load" you mean you're carrying more weight than you used to, rather than having wide bones. Then if the basic spacing is wrong, the padding positions and densities may be wrong for you and result in it all putting pressure where it ought not be... even if it's not causing the numbness, it might not be helping.

I don't like cut-outs because of the pressure on the edges of the cut, but I guess it all depends what shape you are. Hopefully someone with more experience of the problem and those saddles will comment soon.
Thanks.
I had my sit bones measured on one of the Specialized body geometry heat pads, so the width should be suitable.

I am nearly 19st but have been big since I was about 14. 29 now so it shouldn't be anything like that.

The bike is set up according to an lbs bike fit, except that I have a high rise stem (though I am this changed shortly).

Levo-Lon

Guru
I know you had a bike fit But that doesn't mean the seat tilt is perfect for you .
try having it a few degrees forward nose down..5mm can make a big difference.
i get this if the seat is wrong and im under 12 stone..so weight is probabley not the cause, i get it far more on the trainer btw.
Try a few seat tweaks before spending the cash..

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Getting back into the swing of training and I am getting the well known pins and needles/numbness in the gentleman's area.

Does anyone use an ISM saddle like the attached that could offer some advice as to if these saddles actually offer better comfort vs a non cut away?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ism-pr-30/
I have an ISM saddle, the narrower PN 1.1, and for me it's a toss up between that and an SMP saddle. They both have the central cut out but they have completely different approaches to the problem. While the front-aft profile of the ISM is pretty much flat, the SMP is distinctly wavy in an S-shaped kind of way, so much so that it takes a while making small adjustments to the saddle angle before you find your most comfortable position. SMP saddles might be worth taking a look at, though. Page 8 of these catalogues gives the relative widths - http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/images/stories/pro2016-en/index.html#p=8 and http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/images/stories/tour2016-en/index.html#p=8

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I have an ISM saddle, the narrower PN 1.1, and for me it's a toss up between that and an SMP saddle. They both have the central cut out but they have completely different approaches to the problem. While the front-aft profile of the ISM is pretty much flat, the SMP is distinctly wavy in an S-shaped kind of way, so much so that it takes a while making small adjustments to the saddle angle before you find your most comfortable position. SMP saddles might be worth taking a look at, though. Page 8 of these catalogues gives the relative widths - http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/images/stories/pro2016-en/index.html#p=8 and http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/images/stories/tour2016-en/index.html#p=8
Thanks, I take it with the Selle is that the s shape helps alleviate the pressure the same as the absence of anything on the ISM does?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Thanks, I take it with the Selle is that the s shape helps alleviate the pressure the same as the absence of anything on the ISM does?
It's hard to explain but for me you're sitting on top of an ISM whereas you're more sitting in an SMP because it's got a dip about 3/4 of the way back. The pressure point issue is solved in the same way with the cut out.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I know you had a bike fit But that doesn't mean the seat tilt is perfect for you .
try having it a few degrees forward nose down..5mm can make a big difference.
i get this if the seat is wrong and im under 12 stone..so weight is probabley not the cause, i get it far more on the trainer btw.
Try a few seat tweaks before spending the cash..
Thanks, I will def have a play with this before I do anything drastic.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have an ISM Attack on my TT bike and took to it after one ride . I have a SMP chrono and SMP lite 2009 on my road bikes . Ive tried a lot of saddles and wish i had just gone straight for these two brands at the start . It would have saved me a lot of money .

ayceejay

Guru
Your weight is the biggest problem but you probably know this and is probably why you are cycling - no?
But - the front area of your body just above the problem area is adding to the pressure so try riding more upright for now until the belly goes. You might want to try standing on the pedals briefly/occasionally to allow blood to flow more easily.and make sure your shorts fit properly, companies like Assos design their shorts to allow for the bunching up that naturally occurs 'down there' in a bent over position.

Top Bottom