The Olympic Trivial Thing Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't really watch much (any) road racing but Arch and I were just commenting on something.
The Women's road race seems to be televised from behind the riders where as the Men's race yesterday seemed to be televised from the front of the riders.
Any reason for that?

Also why are the distances different?

Also why do TeamGB have apparently unvented white helmets whereas the other teams have more conventional vented helmets?

Norm

Watching the volleyball, it took a few minutes to realise why I was enjoying it so much more than usual sports programmes.

There was no commentary.

It was lovely, hearing all the stuff that was happening on the court without the banal rubbish from people who feel they have to fill silences to earn their salary.

TVC

In the swimming, it often seems like the swimmers form an arrow shape, with the leaders tending to be in the middle lanes. Is this just coincidence, or is there some advantage to the middle lanes? I can't imagine there is, because then the lane placings would be unfair.

The fastest qualifiers get seeded into the middle lanes, I remember being told it was because it's easier to view all the opposition from there. Someone who knows the real answer is welcome to correct me.

With ref to NT. If you have ever followed a fit young female cyclist in skin tight lycra then you will know why the shots come from behind :eek:^_^:blush:

Maz

Guru
The time for opening our fasts (it's Ramadhan) coincided exactly with the start time of the Olympic Opening ceremony (9pm exactly), so we turned it into an Olympic dinner party with Union flags and the like. ^_^

As lavish as the opening ceremony was, we got a little bit bored during the 'walk of nations' thing, so we had a little competition...trying to guess the next nation before they filed out in alphabetical order. One point for each correct answer, minus one for a wrong answer. The winning score was -6.

Durian

Über Member
The time for opening our fasts (it's Ramadhan) coincided exactly with the start time of the Olympic Opening ceremony (9pm exactly), so we turned it into an Olympic dinner party with Union flags and the like. ^_^

As lavish as the opening ceremony was, we got a little bit bored during the 'walk of nations' thing, so we had a little competition...trying to guess the next nation before they filed out in alphabetical order. One point for each correct answer, minus one for a wrong answer. The winning score was -6.

I bet nobody got 'independent athletes' or whatever they were called. Neither would I have done!

Maz

Guru
I bet nobody got 'independent athletes' or whatever they were called. Neither would I have done!
Nah, nobody got that. But they should get the gold medal for best random dancing team!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
River? The rowing isn't on the river.
Yes, only the coaches & trainers can get their bikes into the arena. I asked earlier. :biggrin: I'll check their forks whilst I'm there. ;)

Yes cycling alongside is part of rowing, you see people out on bikes of many different origins at all of these events and at clubs where people are training.

Did I imagine the naked people by the road race on its way through Oxshott?

I saw that too and was wondering if they were actually wearing flesh coloured suits instead.

Top Bottom