The one that got away...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On hols this week. The lad (9 yrs) has been on about going fishing.
So, today I dug the old fly-fishing gear out the loft (unused for at least 10 years), got on t'internet and found some stocked ponds, made a few calls, went online and got a day licence for £3.50. After lunch we pootled off to Farmoor reservoir where we met the very helpful Mark who checked-out our kit, gave us advice and took £17 from me for our afternoons fishing with a 4 fish limit. Great service.
Well, it took a while to get everything sorted and give the lad some casting lessons. Later in the afternoon we took some advice from a local who was catching to change our tackle and fly choice... and hey-presto I hooked an absolute whopper... several minutes scrapping, the lad poised with the landing net, the blighter was leaping and spinning, making runs here there and everywhere, I thought I was turning him toward the net when he took off once again and I was too slow (or rusty) to let him take line... and it all went depressingly quiet :sad:
Real shame, was a big fish, would have been great for the lad to heve netted it and for us to have gone home to the girls with something for the Barbie.
C'est la vie. The lad enjoyed it, so hopefully we'll go again.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I bet it was THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS big

longers

Legendary Member
A shame that is, will he be wanting to go again? Will you?

We used to drown a lot of worms in Scotland on holiday and my dad took me to fly fish one year. It was a windy day and I managed to get my first or second cast into the water and a dozy fish only went and chomped on it! A nice rainbow trout was landed and given the last rites.

The next cast ended up stuck in my head. My dad snipped the line and then took it out at the kitchen table when we got home.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Gerry Attrick said:
And I bet you use a Shimano reel.
No!
Rods by Shakespear (Carbon-fibre... though I hear retro-steel is making a comeback) and Leeda Reels (Single-speed of course... I use gears on my Abu Garcia sea reels)!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Fab Foodie said:
No!
Rods by Shakespear (Carbon-fibre... though I hear retro-steel is making a comeback) and Leeda Reels (Single-speed of course... I use gears on my Abu Garcia sea reels)!
Haa......the quality of carbon fibre is not strained. It snappeth as the gentle crunch underfoot upon the canal towpath. it is twice blessed. It blesseth him that purchaseth and him receiving the filthy lucre. Tis mightier than aluminium, it becomes.........oh s*d it, I,m getting bored:sad:

Top Bottom