The other halfs single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Bought an old OCR Giant a couple of weeks ago, the idea was to build a single speed for the other half to use as a commuter, It started of yellow and black. giant.jpg
But an evening with some wet & dry some fine wire wool. Some 2 pack paint and varnish. And a couple of beers it now looks like this.
single%20speed.jpg
Spent Sunday afternoon building it up, Rides lovely according to the other half, We did a trial run to where she works to make sure it is geared right, she got up the 2 climbs without to much effort so she is going to see how she goes over the next week, then if she is not happy it is easy enough to change the gearing. Am really happy with the build, The picture does not seem to show the proper colour, It is Kawasaki metalic blue,

Last edited:

Citius

Good work. Chain looks tight though...

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Does it have vertical dropouts? Can't tell from the picture but it looks as though it might, but I can't see a chain tensioner?
Have since put a chain tensioner on, Have also changed the chain wheel and rear cog, when i get the gearing right for her i will swop it all out for 1/8th chainset.

mustang1

Guru
Do you strip the previous lacquer and paint off first? Then how do you prepare the metal for painting? Do you have to sand it down to rough up the surface so the new paint adheres better? I take it that's spray paint right?

I see many people do this on steel frames. I thought aluminium frames were a lot harder to paint. Is that a myth?

Good job on it! I'd like to do something like that.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

There is no need to go down to the metal, Just use some wet and dry paper to smooth it all down,Making sure it is fully degreased, I used two pack paint, that came from a car paint shop they put it into cans, Take your time painting it do not rush it, :okay:

Top Bottom