The perfect cycle tourer's PC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

I'm not at all familiar with linux software, but as far as I can tell there's no OS mapping program available. OS are pretty tight with their licensing, and Linux, being open source and free presumably doesn't fit into their business model very well.

I was after an Autoroute alternative myself, and haven't been able to get anywhere with that either.

If you were to run tracklogs on an Eee with XP installed, my guess is that you'd run the maps off an SD card or usb key/drive. The Eee accepts SDHC cards, so you can slip 8 gigs in pretty cheaply and tidily.

Frankly if I were you I'd hang on and see what develops in the 'sub notebook' market in the new year, but, buy an Eee in the meantime anyway, it's a cracking little piece of kit... If you can find one, there's a bit of a shortage at the moment.

More helpful advice would probably be forthcoming at the Eeeuser forums.

NickM

Veteran
NickM said:
I'm tempted by the Asus/RM machine - but I would want it to be able to carry OS mapping around.

I know the Eee can run Windows, but that seems rather to miss the point. Is there any OS 1:50,000 mapping package that will run under Linux?
Well this might be the answer:

http://www.landserf.org/

"...can be used for displaying maps, calculating elevation profiles and transferring routes and waypoints to/from the GPS. It does not include any OS digital mapping but can import maps if you have access to them. Unlike most of the other products this will also work with MacOSX and Linux as well as Windows".

Top Bottom