The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The Trident is a fuselage only but I was impressed by the (relatively) huge wooden fold down tables -

View attachment 134793

And the ashtrays in the armrests

Yes the Trident 1 they are restoring at Sunderland (G - ARPO) has had wooden 'Pullman' tables fitted amongst other things. I presume these are the same.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No pictures sadly, but saw a tilt-rotored Osprey flying round Wastwater in the lakes last week. Never seen one in real life before. I didn't think our lot had them, so presumably some yanks over practicing, unless Boeing lent the RAF one for a test drive.

A Hercules was flying low down the valley a day or two later as well

(Although only saw it fleetingly I can't imagine anything else remotely similar to the Osprey that it could conceivably be.)

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've flown in a Catalina. Extraordinary aircraft!

Ah, Catalinas

catalina.jpeg

There's also one in that pic.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
And everyone on deck getting out of the way of that wire whiplashing.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And everyone on deck getting out of the way of that wire whiplashing.

Not everyone got out of the way - 8 sailors were injured by the flailing cable, one sustaining a fractured skull, and two parked aircraft were damaged.

It happened back in March, and the pilots were subsequently awarded the Armed Forces Air Medal for saving their aircraft.

We were stopping in Charlecote a couple of years ago, & previous OS map investigation (to find running routes, whilst there) revealed the nearness of an airfield
Home to XM655 (the Vulcan featured in the Guy Martin programme, where he taxied it

1922362_10202622536876892_655434599_n.jpg

I saw the last two Navy search and rescue Seakings of HMS Gannet fly over Dumbarton (19 and 25), and one of the two green navy helicopters.

Sit back and enjoy the noise which I have been privy to for YEARS, even if the filming is a bit crap!!

View: http://youtu.be/ga4LYL-13TQ

We used to get Sea-Kings landing at the Hospital, if the (Yorkshire) Air-Ambulance was unavailable - rare now, as they have 2 (based at Nostell Priory, where I ParkRun, & my wife has her company office)
A few of us got a look around it once, crikey, it was like having a single-decker bus with a rotor!
All of the hi-tech instrumentation was very intriguing, but, more reassuring was the pouch full of very well used & notated OS maps!!

The old one (in April 2004) at the Hospital
Aircraft. West Yorkshire Air Ambulance. G-PASG.JPG

Top Bottom