The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@macp

Im more a fan of the P-38 Lightning

latest?cb=20150916084245

167-k-1280.jpg

Its hard to find a good image that really does this beast justice. Its been one of my favorites since I read the book 'The Last Dogfight' in primary school.

stearman65

@macp

Im more a fan of the P-38 Lightning

latest?cb=20150916084245

167-k-1280.jpg

Its hard to find a good image that really does this beast justice. Its been one of my favorites since I read the book 'The Last Dogfight' in primary school.
Originally made by Lockheed, which started off as Lockhead in the 1920's.

Brilliant - thank you. Cosford has been on my list for some time. I'd been intending to take my dad in November, when they've got the Conservation centre open for 1 week to the public. The idea being so he could see the work they're doing on the Hendon Wellington, as he did his initial training at Cosford, and then subsequently worked on Wellingtons during the war. Sadly, he died in April, but I'll still go and reminisce.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
You could have one in your back garden for a few grand, just like Clarkson.
Gardens too short!

Just needs a bit of lateral thinking:

English_Electric_Lightning_F1_XG337_RAF_Museum_Cosford.jpg

Or should that be vertical thinking? :smile:
That is one of the reasons why I do not like the Cold War Museum at Cosford, all of the aircraft are crammed into a small space so that you cannot see them properly. I much prefer the other museums on the site where you can get a better view of the exhibits.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I find that aircraft have a strange habit of flying very low as they come in to an airfield. :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

They were flying low from a fair way out and very close together as well, they were only seconds apart. I was surprised not to see one of them circle. To be fair I never saw them land as I was the wrong side of Gilmorton and they may have flown straight over the aerodrome

Top Bottom