The pro peleton needs Wiggins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elgee

I'm happy to be shot down in flames but sport needs characters like Wiggo. Moto GP would not be anywhere near as successful around the World as a spectator sport without Rossi. Sadly, Mr Brailsford failed to recognise this and the Sky team popularity has suffered as a consequence, at least in this household.

We need Wiggins in the peleton because he is British, is a proven winner of major track & road, has a down-to-earth attitude and is a bit of a rebel to boot!

Team selection should not be based solely on the most recent results alone. That ignores factors like a 'winning temperament' , not to mention the luck or bad luck that can beset a team at any moment. Personally, I believe that had Wiggins and Froome been selected together we would still be watching the Tour with a British rider fighting for the win.

I'll duck now in expectation of the usual barrage of put-downs from people who a more 'qualified' to provide an opinion!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
What we don't need is another thread on this subject - you do know there's already been several?

OP
OP
E

elgee

So what is wrong with starting a new one to focus people's thoughts with a specific title? Why do you assume that I have not bothered reading the threads? I have and as it happens I could not find a debate specifically devoted to this contentious issue. Perhaps you could direct me. Oh, and I would have thought that the aim of a forum was to attract constructive debate, not tirelessly look for idiots who can' t be bothered searching through endless posts to make sure they are not cluttering the forum's pages with repeated content.perhaps I have missed something but I thought it was a subject worth airing for those that missed it first time around?

So what is wrong with starting a new one to focus people's thoughts with a specific title? Why do you assume that I have not bothered reading the threads? I have and as it happens I could not find a debate specifically devoted to this contentious issue. Perhaps you could direct me. Oh, and I would have thought that the aim of a forum was to attract constructive debate, not tirelessly look for idiots who can' t be bothered searching through endless posts to make sure they are not cluttering the forum's pages with repeated content.perhaps I have missed something but I thought it was a subject worth airing for those that missed it first time around?

OK I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, you a clearly a nobber. ;)

It's been quite well covered in the Sky Team thread.

Bradley who ?

Forgotten already.

OP
OP
E

elgee

It's been quite well covered in the Sky Team thread.
Thank you. At least yours is a civilised reply and not personal attack! I have
searched several threads but hadn't found anything that answered my question. Unfortunately, forum's are a magnet for narrow-minded bigots who feel that they are always right - not that I'm implying that there are any of those on this forum, of course. Don't forget that Brailsford and the Sky team have encouraged the idea that it is a 'British' team. Who better to be in that team than, arguably, the most successful of British cyclists?

The previous replies were civilised, with no personal attacks (I called you a nobber after my initial reply, which I thought was rather good of me). You seem rather "prickly", and your OP was rather antagonistic where it stated "I'll duck now in expectation of the usual barrage of put-downs from people who a more 'qualified' to provide an opinion".

I've never seen you post in Pro Race before (you might have done but I'd certainly say you are not a regular) so I doubt you are in a position to know what the "usual position" is; in fact, the "usual position" is that newcomers are welcomed unless they are quite clearly trolls or set out to cause a stir or think they are the authority on everything and not open to challenge. I'm not sure which category you fall into but you are certainly a bit of a twit for not being able to find a current thread where you comment my have been relevant.

tigger

Über Member
I used to like Wiggo, now I think he's a bit of a twat. His wife said something similar in the Road to Glory documentary, so I can't be wrong. I'd still like to see him on the road if he can dedicate to training and tune his attitude down a couple of notches. But no, the pro peloton doesn't NEED him as there are plenty of better riders than him now.

OP
OP
E

elgee

The previous replies were civilised, with no personal attacks (I called you a nobber after my initial reply, which I thought was rather good of me). You seem rather "prickly", and your OP was rather antagonistic where it stated "I'll duck now in expectation of the usual barrage of put-downs from people who a more 'qualified' to provide an opinion".

I've never seen you post in Pro Race before (you might have done but I'd certainly say you are not a regular) so I doubt you are in a position to know what the "usual position" is; in fact, the "usual position" is that newcomers are welcomed unless they are quite clearly trolls or set out to cause a stir or think they are the authority on everything and not open to challenge. I'm not sure which category you fall into but you are certainly a bit of a twit for not being able to find a current thread where you comment my have been relevant.
I am new. I am an enthusiast. I do have an opinion. I do search but, since I have not followed all the threads for long enough to know my way around I decided to take a leap of faith. I don't think I am a 'nobber' , whatever you mean by that, nor am I a 'troll'. I am, however, a curious individual who enjoys constructive bebate. I would be interested in your perspective on the points I have made.

Top Bottom