The pro peleton needs Wiggins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Let's not get personal please. If you want to engage with elgee on his OP then please do so, otherwise let the thread to run its natural course.

Thanks,
Shaun

Fair enough boss

I am new. I am an enthusiast. I do have an opinion. I do search but, since I have not followed all the threads for long enough to know my way around I decided to take a leap of faith. I don't think I am a 'nobber' , whatever you mean by that, nor am I a 'troll'. I am, however, a curious individual who enjoys constructive bebate. I would be interested in your perspective on the points I have made.

OK, fair enough. My apologies.

OP
OP
E

elgee

OK, fair enough. My apologies.
No probs. I accept that there are going to be a range of views scanning the whole spectrum. My point is that champions are often single-minded and not always people who garner the most sympathy because of their actions. However, they are winners - Sky purports to be British - Wiggins has a track record in big events - people ride themselves into events like the Tour despite lack of fitness initially - there are excellent riders but Wiggins is British. Are we saying that we would let personalities stand in the way of wanting a homegrown winner?

I think Wiggins is one of the best riders in the world - as you'd have seen if you'd found the other threads ;) - but the pro peloton do not "need" him. Team Sky may have pitched themselves as a British team, but they are not. If you look at the team composition then you will see they are very much an international bunch; they may have set out to be British but the reality is very much different - my view is that they maintain the "britishness" in a colonial manner, to try to keep johnny foreigner in line. Again, I have mentioned this on other threads, but I think the end is nigh for Sky, and I am not sure whether the legacy will be good or bad; maybe it will be good because it will turn out so bad. In my view, they have ruined the progression of many riders for the sole purpose of promoting Sir Dave Bloody Brailsford's very narrowly focused ideas. He was lauded as the great saviour of British Cycling due to success on the track yet his approach of focussing on only those who met the "numbers" resulted in many promising riders leaving the sport far too early. And he can't call a race worth a damn.

But going back to Bradley Wiggins; I reckon he rocks. His Tour win was one of the most significant events in recent years. but probably not for the reasons that Brailsford or the mainstream media think. But the pro peloton do not need him.

400bhp

Guru
... He was lauded as the great saviour of British Cycling due to success on the track yet his approach of focussing on only those who met the "numbers"

I was thinking of what to post in this thread.

I watched the Chris Hoy story earlier in the week. I half watch things these days, but a couple of words caught my attention.

Hoy said something like "it's all about the numbers" when he was looking to earn his place in the 2012 Olympic Team. It is pretty clear to me following the omission of Wiggins from the Tour this year (and I agree Marmion) that Sky are a one trick pony on the road. They only see numbers and that's it.

I don't think Sky arer finished though. Too much money being thrown their way. They will appoint some good tacticians and they will learn from their mistakes.

Wgere this leaves Wiggins - he should have quit immediately he learned he wasn't in the Tour team. The fact he didn't possibly speaks more, in that he isn't that bothered about riding road at the moment (I say at the moment because he blows hot and cold). He would so easily get another ride for a top team.

I don't think Sky arer finished though. Too much money being thrown their way. They will appoint some good tacticians and they will learn from their mistakes.

Not unless they change their "no dopers" policy - they had Yates, they had Rogers. They got rid of both. Both of them, despite their past, could have helped Sky mature as a team. Yates could call a race. Unrepentant dopers should not be involved in the pro game; if people acknowledge that they made the wrong choices and evidence a commitment to change then I'm all for them being part of the change - then again, Brailsford said "no TUE's" yet he now allows them and Tramadol. And who knows what else; maybe it's just detectable doping he does not like.

OP
OP
E

elgee

Good points from both posts. I pretty much agree with what has been said. Wiggins would be much better off on a team that values him, like Cav has managed to do. Team politics must really p..s off true competitors.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tramadol, as I understand it, is controlled not prohibited. And TUEs, like ''controlled'' drugs/medications, would need a highly esteemed lawyer/expert in medicine and employment law to legislate against. For me, every day is a TUEsday because of a medical problem but it's really not a sackable offence.

As for the Yates, there might eventually be a replacement pair of Yates in the Sky team.

Good points from both posts. I pretty much agree with what has been said. Wiggins would be much better off on a team that values him, like Cav has managed to do. Team politics must really p..s off true competitors.

OK, I'll admit I got it wrong earlier re this thread, as there is not one on this subject. And I'm glad the mods ignored me (as usual) and did not amalgamate into other threads.

Team "politics" are and always have been part of pro cycling. Armstrong was poisonous at a personal level. I reckon Sky are poisonous at a team level.

Tramadol, as I understand it, is controlled not prohibited. And TUEs, like ''controlled'' drugs/medications, would need a highly esteemed lawyer/expert in medicine and employment law to legislate against. For me, every day is a TUEsday because of a medical problem but it's really not a sackable offence.

As for the Yates, there might eventually be a replacement pair of Yates in the Sky team.

True, but Sir Dave seems to have changed his tune. I reckon he is more "corporate" than USPS/Discovery and have concerns.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a Wiggins fan but ... everything for BW's win in 2012 was at full stretch: He seemed to have put almost more into his training, mentally and physically, than he could stand; events conspired to his advantage: the TT heavy parcours, the personnel for Sky's race suffocation tactics, the lack of Bertie, and he just made it. He's now nearer the end of his career than the start, and the planets won't align that way for him again.

I don't think the sport needs any one individual, especially not one in the twilight of his career. It needs the current crop of youngsters to come good and not to turn out to be dirty.

Top Bottom