The Student Support Centre..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

This is turning into an interesting thread I have two siblings

1. eldest most intelligent studied dilligently, total brain box - now works from home in his own business does enough to get by plays golf the rest of the time - almost zilch social skills,

2. middle, extremely skilled sportsman went into professional football (we're talking 30 years ago), major injury came out. Aboslutely no qualifications as spent whole school life playing sport. Great salesman now earns a total fortune and lives the high life

3. Me average at everything, hated school left with few qualifications. Left school at 16 looked down on by friends and lost them all. Got a job studied whilst working blessed with generous amount of commonsense and practical application ended up with very successful carreer which gave up when I had children. Now working in bursar at local school so I can be there for children before and after school.

Parents - mother teacher never experienced the real world
Father - very successful businessman went to good private school wanted to be accountant but forced into family business

So what I am saying is we can all achieve, there is a niche for us all, and generally we all find our own way. you are doing the right thing by helping but don't worry that she isn't there yet there are years ahead of her.

Incidentally don't forget that at this age summer/winter born can make quite a big difference on how they are performing in relation to their peers.

Willow

precisely the same reason I have encouraged my two to do sport. I married into an intelligence level far higher than mine which is why I think he got bored with me so I am lucky to have bright children. However socially my eldest copes with the sporting enviroment but not so easily with the more casual side. I had a call this evening 10 minutes after dropping him off to the school disco - could I collect him (age 11). Lots of tears in car, took him home and suggested when he calmed down he might like to try again as the longer it took him to get used to these social things the more difficult it becomes. To his credit 20 mins later I was taking him back. An hour later I went to collect him and he was doing ok. Hopefully next time round it will be a little easier again - it's an inherited gene I'm afraid but at least I know how he feels and can help him overcome it which is not something that happened for me.

Top Bottom