The tax man; did I tell you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

New bike time!

djb1971

Legendary Member
Spend it!
Next year is a long way off.

I've just had my first ever rebate, bought a bike, paid for a holiday and still have £800 left :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
I once got a demand for £4.20. I knew it was wrong (far too small an amount) so called the tax office.
A few days later I got one for £950 or so. That was wrong also (in my favour). So I paid it................................ and heard no more.

15 years or more ago mind you.

ASC1951

Guru
What a bizarre attitude.
No, it's perfectly rational. HMRC only pay 0.5% interest, even when it is their fault, compared with the 3.0% you have to pay them; and like most of us, SpokeyDokey no doubt has better things to do with his money than lend it almost free to HMRC.

You must get mightily ****ed off when you find a £1 coin behind the sofa!
Well, logically, being pleased is the strange reaction. It's Status Quo Bias, innit eg Amazon says our order will arrive in six days but it gets here in four, we are delighted; Amazon says it it will arrive in two days but it takes four, we are upset.

Raging Squirrel

I think the main attitude is that you dont really miss it out of your wages every week or month, so when you unexpectedly get told you're owed money back its like christmas

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mine is because i was made redundant in May and have a lower paid job with less hours so i dont pay tax now.
The rebate is for tax i had already paid up until May. Its averaged over the year innit :smile:

'Tis so. I just have a problem with HMRC taxing on current earnings on the assumption that earnings will be at at least the same level for the rest of the year which, as in your case, is not always true.

Top Bottom