The TdF riders prepare for the mountains - but so do the GIMPS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob88

Retired, demented
I was very impressed when I started watching the Dauphine on Eurosport to see the "public information" trailer for the TdF fronted by Chris Froome diplomatically requesting the public to treat riders with respect during le Tour - or anywhere else.

The words were softly delivered but the message was powerful as some infamous clips depicting bonkers "fans" chasing alongside riders screaming in their ears were shown or publicity seeking idiots getting in the way to the extent that the riders had to lash out in self defence.

The film did not of course deal with the opposite end of the scale where we have "acceptable exhibitionism" as this could send out a mixed message. ie think of the marvelous old boy who dressed up as the devil for years or the cowboy racing his horse alongside the peloton, safely in the field of course . Generally this sort bring joy to all but do not interfere with the race. No encouragement needed for this, wonderful extroverts will always find a way.

However, this can be a fine line - I'm not sure whether Dan Martin will be able to laugh about the giant Panda in Liege this side of his 40th birthday.

I hope the ad will have the desired effect but I very much doubt it. It has not been a problem in UK yet but who knows - the sport has become so popularised now it's anyone's guess. I am not trying to play the amateur psychologist but I think the guys we want to discourage (and it seems 95% young men) fall into 3 broad types:

1) MUPPETS
Loony Wannabees. Typically young guys running alongside their personal heroes screaming in their ears. Often young cyclists themselves.

2) THONGS
As in 1 above plus male vanity - Often very fit specimens who take the opportunity to show off their bodies in swimming trunks etc

Alternative title suggested in the cut and thrust of learned debate in this Forum is PLONKERS (Muppets in Thongs)

3) GIMPS
Smart arses who dress up in joke or animal costumes so they can be "local heroes" forever amongst their mates

My proposition to deal with the problem is to use the power of language in order to ridicule and humiliate the idiots, along the lines of the old adage "Give a dog a bad name - and hang him" . If we can hi-jack or come up with appropriately contemptible titles for these cretins that fit the bill, act as a deterrent yet are acceptable for public broadcasting use by commentators it could have some effect. After all - young men are often vain and dread getting a bad nickname which could stay with them for years. Their only sensitivity is how they are perceived within their own little world.
In order for it to be effective the bad titles have to be funny or catchy in themselves otherwise they will not catch on.

My suggestions are given above - they should work internationally (who didn't see Pulp Fiction?) I hereby request further opinions /suggestions. I realise that there will be many other suggested solutions but please humour me and provide your preferred titles for the three categories. If people support the idea I propose to submit something appropriate to the cycling press and TV cycling commentators as a suggestion. We don't have much time but it is do-able. We can do our best to make the British hill top stages a showpiece of spectator behaviour.

If you see someone on TV on top of Holme-Moss decking a Giant Panda with a rugby tackle - it could be me......

Last edited:

MisterStan

Label Required
To be fair, Dan Martin's Twitter pic is of him and a panda......

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you see someone on TV on top of Holme-Moss decking a Giant Panda with a rugby tackle - it could be me......
My Panda suit might not be back from the repairers in time so it could be plan B
upload_2014-6-17_13-48-59.png
upload_2014-6-17_13-49-29.png

How did you know I was going to be on Holme Moss?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Your solution to dealing with publicity seekers is to, er, give them publicity? Mind you, I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
To be fair, Dan Martin's Twitter pic is of him and a panda......

Oh dear, using Dan's panda probably not a good example - I confess I did laugh at that one - but then I'm also Irish......

PS. I think I would have laughed even harder if someone had decked the Panda.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
Your solution to dealing with publicity seekers is to, er, give them publicity? Mind you, I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

I don't think I'm suggesting giving them publicity I'm trying to categorise their behaviour in order to establish a readily understood terminology. That way the downside for them is getting a sticky label.
Taking Dan's Panda case for example, when girls meet him now maybe he's still chuffed to be "the guy who was on TV in the Panda suit". Maybe he won't be so popular if they call him "the Gimp in the Panda suit"
After all, labels can be pretty effective. If someone got a label as a Nonce in prison - their next visit to the showers could be pretty memorable.

However if you are referring to the possible publicity outcome of "decking the Panda on TV" I disagree - that would be good for the cause but sadly like "Dwarf Hurling", it is more often fondly discussed than likely to occur in reality.

PS Do try to catch Pulp Fiction some time. The Gimp scene is very moving.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
(Is that a bloke on the left?)
Why? Do you fancy him/her? ^_^

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think I'm suggesting giving them publicity I'm trying to categorise their behaviour in order to establish a readily understood terminology. That way the downside for them is getting a sticky label.
Taking Dan's Panda case for example, when girls meet him now maybe he's still chuffed to be "the guy who was on TV in the Panda suit". Maybe he won't be so popular if they call him "the Gimp in the Panda suit"
After all, labels can be pretty effective. If someone got a label as a Nonce in prison - their next visit to the showers could be pretty memorable.

However if you are referring to the possible publicity outcome of "decking the Panda on TV" I disagree - that would be good for the cause but sadly like "Dwarf Hurling", it is more often fondly discussed than likely to occur in reality.

PS Do try to catch Pulp Fiction some time. The Gimp scene is very moving.
I see your point, but personally I think the best approach is that used for streakers. Ignore them, don't show them on telly, don't even acknowledge their existence. As you say, they're only interested in how they are perceived in their own little world, so being called names by anyone outside their circle might not bother them.

OP
OP
Rob88

Rob88

Retired, demented
I see your point, but personally I think the best approach is that used for streakers. Ignore them, don't show them on telly, don't even acknowledge their existence. As you say, they're only interested in how they are perceived in their own little world, so being called names by anyone outside their circle might not bother them.

What you are saying then is that we the cycling "cognicenti", should do nothing, walk on eggshells for a few more years and hope that nothing terrible happens to the guys at the sharp end of our favourite sport. The softly-softly approach isn't working (Zoncolan - Giro d'Italia?) hence the latest initiative by the Tour organisers ASO to distribute videos where star riders like Froome, Boonen, Degenkolb, Andy and Frank Schleck, Rodriguez and Voeckler are appealing to the public all over Europe to respect them and to be aware of the dangers of over excited fans/ publicity seekers getting too close. There is obviously concern going on at at high level in the sport and the gentle appeal by riders (orchestrated throughout Europe ) to the public is a tentative first step. I just don't think it will be enough. The powers that be in cycling are walking a tightrope, they cannot be seen to admonish the extreme fans any more than they can they can appeal to the grass roots of the sport to protect the riders.

The organisers of huge sporting events know that you cannot police a multitude, you are relying to a large extent on sufficient "kindred spirits" in the crowd to make it virtually self-regulating. Off road motor sport has similar "challenges" but in their case it's generally the dozy spectator standing on the wrong side of the apex who comes off worst. The beauty of great events like the Tour is the close up opportunity we get to see the top riders at slow speed on climbs and the sad fact is it makes them vulnerable. Nobody likes to talk about it because it makes people feel uneasy that any attention drawn to the issue could somehow encourage more undesirable behaviour.
The ASO approach is to be applauded of course but I simply don't think it will do the trick. In the recent history of the TdF there have been numerous incidents of spectators getting too close and causing mayhem. Anquetil famously dropped out the Tour after an over eager fan chucked a bucket of icy water over him at the top of a hot and dusty Alp, Merckx was punched in the stomach by a spectator in the 1975 Tour halfway up the Puy de Dome. These "crimes of passion" luckily have mercifully rarely been repeated but what we see now is becoming increasingly problematic.

One key word you used in your comment was "streakers". This is a modern term coined in the 70's to describe a new fad/phenomenon call it what you will. It is a fairly neutral word descriptive of naked action without being derogatory. To be labelled as someone who has streaked in the past probably wouldn't bother most people. The word flasher also came into parlance around the same time, this however sends out an entirely different signal. It is no coincidence that they both came into the language at the same time. I feel it is time for some new labels for new problems. Conventional wisdom holds that you cannot steer language development, it is beyond control. I'm not sure Enid Blyton would agree with that, ever since the Gays hi-jacked her favourite word, Noddy has been homeless.

AndyRM

XOXO
From what I've seen, fans have been going nuts by the roadside for the last 30 years. I can't recall anything terrible happening, though I suppose that depends on your definition of the word.

It's late and I may be reading your second two paragraphs wrong, but they seem to contain some fantastic contradictions. Chapeau!

Top Bottom