The Wisdom of Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Sorry, but I just had to lift this from another thread as it deserves to bask in its own glory....

laura1985x said:
However Halfords say its simple - your frame size is how old you are so 24 years = 24 inches = 61cm

Yes, I know. It was one person at Halfords that said that and not a store spokesman but none-the-less, if there ever was a reason to be dubious of the place then that has to be it!

Applying reverse logic, I'm delighted to find out that I am, in actual fact, 21 ;)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Damm ! all these years my bike has been waaaaay too small.
Goes off to look for 50" sizes...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a quick think to see if it held at the bottom of the sizes ... and tried to imagine a 14 year old on a 14" bike:biggrin:

Rob S

sheddy said:
Damm ! all these years my bike has been waaaaay too small.
Goes off to look for 50" sizes...

Ahh but they thought of that....at your age you use metric sizes!!;)

yello said:
Sorry, but I just had to lift this from another thread as it deserves to bask in its own glory....

Yes, I know. It was one person at Halfords that said that and not a store spokesman but none-the-less, if there ever was a reason to be dubious of the place then that has to be it!

Applying reverse logic, I'm delighted to find out that I am, in actual fact, 21 :biggrin:

i have heard someone use a formula based on inside leg length, but can't remember what it is, although have found it to be correct - perhaps he got confused

advice i've had from halfrauds over the years:

your rear differential is broken and needs replacing
WD40 on your disk brakes will stop the squeeking (just needed bedding in)
a bit of oil on your rims will stop your brakes squeeking (both for V brakes and for disk brakes)

sw3008

Guru
Pushing tin said:
a bit of oil on your rims will stop your brakes squeeking

I know someone who did that many many years ago when I was about 7.

It was quite funny to watch the outcome. He didn't use the bike for a while after that.

Top Bottom