The worst tyres you've ever had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
Just a bit of a tongue in cheek thread really but most threads about tyres are usually based on " what are the best " so I thought it would be interesting to know about the worst tyres you've ever had. There surely must of been some real bad ones out there, that over the years had self destructed or gave virtually no grip in the first sign of rain. Me personally has never really had a bad tyre but I've never strayed away from the Michelin brands though.
All the best
Johnny

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some old Vittoria Open Clinchers. Used the same construction as tubs. Quite expensive, but found the tread would de-laminate from the carcase. This was many years ago.

Michelin are my favourite light weight tyre. Schwalbe Durano Plus folding were my favourite bomb proof tyre for glass strewn commutes.

U

User6179

Mavic Aksion - best and worst , first set lasted thousand of miles then the 7 out of 8 I bought/warranty replaced/inherited all developed a bulge within a few hundred miles .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Put Schwalbe Marathons on the hybrid following a visit from the fairy.
Absolutely hated them - they were slow, lacked grip on damp roads, heavy and felt dead with no feedback. Within a fortnight I'd replaced them with Land Cruisers and all was well in the world again.

Kajjal

Guru
Bontrager ones that came on my first road bike. Rolled really badly, had zero grip in the wet and punctured all the time, especially if it was cold and raining.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Conti 4 seasons. Hated them. Punctured often and I had no confidence in them on wet roads

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Some old Vittoria Open Clinchers. Used the same construction as tubs. Quite expensive, but found the tread would de-laminate from the carcase. This was many years ago.
Same as me. I bought a batch of five on offer from Ribble back in the early nineties, they worked out at about £4.50 each. Nearly all developed a bulge in the sidewall where the carcass failed. I think the lengths of tread I carry now as an emergency tyre boot come from one of them.

si_c

Guru
Michelin dynamic classics. Cheap, plasticky, no grip, no puncture protection, uncomfortable as hell and they didn't like staying on the rim too much.

Top Bottom