These RPM things in the gym...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any cycling veterans out there been to RPM sessions regularly, are they any good? How do they compare to a turbo session in the garage.

...thought they may help me keep motivated over the winter!

Cheers

CS

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you mean spin classes?

Personally I find them to be awkward and not conducive to my cycling performance. HOWEVER, they will vary from gym to gym, instructor to instructor etc. What I didn't like was A) Disco lights, B) Happy Hardcore Music, C) Being told to wave my arms around, D) Doing a seemingly random series of "efforts", E) Being told I was not allowed to assume a time trial position (I am a time traillist, I do 90% of my training in the position).

The reality of the situation is that most spin classes are not aimed at cyclists and cycling performance, but weight loss for average gym goers.

Comparing a spin class to a turbo session in your garage is not something that can really be done without knowing how you use the turbo trainer. The way I use my turbo trainer in no way corresponds to my experience of a spin class.

RPM is much better than random spin classes - the ones I went to were run by a cyclist, and most of the attendees were cyclists, so it was not just people looking to lose weight. The waving hands in the air crap is spin; the sequenced programme is RPM.

jarlrmai

Veteran
RPM is Les Mills, Les Mills stuff is generally okay and well designed. (most of the music is awful imo tho)

The better half is a Jam, Pump and Attack instructor.

rb58

Enigma
I've been a regular spinner for quite a few years. It's not the same as cycling, but I've found it beneficial to cadence, core and leg strength. Good fun too (no arm waving in the ones I attend) but that will depend on the instructor. The classes I attend are pretty hard core and a really good workout. No substitute for bike miles, but complements cycling well in my experience. I'd suggest getting down there and trying a couple of classes and decide for yourself.

Top Bottom