taking hands off handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennyc

Silly question time. Is anyone able on drop handlebar or mountain bike cycles to take their hands off the handlebars for maybe 10, 20 or 30 seconds or so on smooth terrain, ie roads,going not too fast obviously with the steering remaining steady straight ahead, ie well balanced and stable.

I have had a mountain bike with flat handlebars, was disappointed when I found that the steering was very unsteady and couldn't take my hands off for more than a couple of seconds or so.

kenny

I learned to ride no-hands as a kid (racer and MTB) and can still do it with ease.

Can be useful for retrieving something from the rear pockey of your jersey/jacket, or putting on/taking off a waterproof etc.

It might be more difficult to balance if starting as an adult. Or the bike could just have a 'biased' pull to it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I do it all the time. I can keep doing it for ages. You just need to get your pedaling smooth and keep looking ahead. You soon get better at it. I can also do it so i sort of stand up with the saddle being held by my inner leg muscles.
The sterring will only really wobble if your pushing too hard, or not keeping things smooth so the bike will wobble. I find the 2 bikes i have just follow lines and will keep in a straight line, or follow a smooth line round a courner without me needing to do much to them, or feeling like i'm doing much.
I found out i could do it by going along, and feeling like my hands arent doing much being on the handlebars. So i sat up, and slowly took my hands off the bars. The bike didnt wobble, so i did it for ages to show off. :laugh:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No real probs on my road bike - I have to say it feels less stable when I'm clipless and doing no handed, but I guess that comes from not being able to shift my feet at all if required.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Common mistakes when trying to ride hands off are leaning nervously forward with the hands a few inches from the bars ready for a panic grab and staring down at the front of the bike. Sit up with a straight back, look well ahead and it is easy.

yenrod

Smokin Joe said:
Common mistakes when trying to ride hands off are leaning nervously forward with the hands a few inches from the bars ready for a panic grab and staring down at the front of the bike. Sit up with a straight back, look well ahead and it is easy.

:smile:

Top Bottom