Thieves After High Value Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thieves are targeting high value bikes in the lower calder valley. "ColinJ country".
You may not know the lower calder valley as a name, ColinJ possibly.

Just a warning

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks - and noted. The area covers from ColinJ, past me down to Wakefield and thefts have massively increased in the past few months.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Bike theft is always a problem. But to be told by the police that high value bikes are what they are targetting may mean that they know where the bikes are being kept.

JoeM

Yebbut these gears go to 11
Bike theft is always a problem. But to be told by the police that high value bikes are what they are targetting may mean that they know where the bikes are being kept.

I reckon that the tea leafs deffo know where they're kept: when the Mrs' bike got stolen the copper said that groups of lads on BSOs follow people coming back from rides to see where they live, and then target bikes if they're e.g., in a garage.

The police also said that they target bits too (just in case you've got a full Super Record groupset in your shed!)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thieves are targeting high value bikes in the lower calder valley. "ColinJ country".
You may not know the lower calder valley as a name, ColinJ possibly.

Just a warning
Have you got a link please.... not wanting to argue, but lower Valley area of Calderdale is Elland Brighouse, Rastrick and Hipperholme. ColinJ lives in the Upper Valley area. I'm keen to read what you have because I border Lower Valley.
http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/calderdale

Another hazard to be wary about, a reliable source informed me, is a less than honest employee at your LBS who has access to your name and address selling on information as to where bikes live.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you got a link please.... not wanting to argue, but lower Valley area of Calderdale is Elland Brighouse, Rastrick and Hipperholme. ColinJ lives in the Upper Valley area. I'm keen to read what you have because I border Lower Valley.
http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/calderdale

Taken from the local paper
http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/new...-of-shed-break-ins-in-norwood-green-1-4297582

I went on the larger piece that appeared in print, above has been taken from their site

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another hazard to be wary about, a reliable source informed me, is a less than honest employee at your LBS who has access to your name and address selling on information as to where bikes live.

As my LBS is a semi-retired Dad (who I think has been in the business since before I was born possibly! the sign on the shop says 1938), his son and (occasionally the wife), one regular for all the years I have been going there and a Saturday boy, I'm not too worried.

It doesn't even need a bent employee, or scorned ex-employee for that matter. The thieving scumbags only need to sit around outside bike shops watching who's loading what into and onto their cars, follow them home and come back later. I don't mean to scare monger but it's that simple.
I don't know if it's an urban myth but I have heard of a guy who bought a particularly expensive whatever from Leisure Lakes, picked it up, put it on his bike rack, set off home, called at his mates to show his new bike off, nipped in his house to use the loo, came back out with his mate and hey presto the bike had gone. It probably is an urban myth, but it could just happen that easily.
Take care out there :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
No, may well turn out to be true. Urban myths often have a grain of truth in them. Mate of Cubester's rides downhill competitions. Last weekend after a race his Dad left the bike in the van. No windows, no sign anything was in it, not a high crime area. Next morning the door had been forced and there was an Orange 224 shaped space left in the van. That's why I was interested in Cyclist 33's post- the van was not far away from Calderdale's Lower Valley.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
No, may well turn out to be true. Urban myths often have a grain of truth in them. Mate of Cubester's rides downhill competitions. Last weekend after a race his Dad left the bike in the van. No windows, no sign anything was in it, not a high crime area. Next morning the door had been forced and there was an Orange 224 shaped space left in the van. That's why I was interested in Cyclist 33's post- the van was not far away from Calderdale's Lower Valley.

Err, wrong person

400bhp

Guru
I reckon that the tea leafs deffo know where they're kept: when the Mrs' bike got stolen the copper said that groups of lads on BSOs follow people coming back from rides to see where they live, and then target bikes if they're e.g., in a garage.

The police also said that they target bits too (just in case you've got a full Super Record groupset in your shed!)

Another reason to ride faster.:whistle:

Top Bottom