Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You don't see kids do this anymore, but we always seemed to have a supply of house bricks and a plank of wood to construct a make shift jump for our BMXs.*

I once did a "six bricker".

*Raliegh grifters not allowed - one of those landing a jump could cause a Tsunami.
We used to try and bike-jump a local stream... I knackered my own bike and my neighbour's bike doing that :smile:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Put Duracell batteries in expensive equipment because we knew they wouldn't leak.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Shiny side up.

A couple of years ago I went to a TRB gig, to celebrate the nth anniversary of Power in The Darkness. For the first time ever, they played the entire album, live, in track order. My brain did the "ooh I know what's next" trick as the last notes of the preceeding track were played, by dredging up long forgotten memories. Except when it came to The Winter of 79, which was track 1 side 2, so I wouldn't have heard a track before it, IYSWIM.

Christ I wish I knew that was on I loved that band and PITD is one of my all time favourite albums. I love Dolphin Taylor's drumming on that album.

gbb

Legendary Member
Laying under the bed covers with a short wave radio, scanning across listening to all those wierd foreign languages and the eeeeoooooeeeooooo in the background. It always seemed more interesting after bedtime.

And vol au vents...what happened to them. They had a classy air to them years ago...oooo, vol au vents. I havnt seen them fpr years, ive insisted we have some this Xmas.

postman

Legendary Member
I am old enough to have used a tea strainer,not of your poncy tea bags in my youf.

It was Tetley in 1953 that drove the introduction of tea bags in Britain, but other companies soon caught up. In the early 1960s, tea bags made up less than 3 per cent of the British market, but this has been growing steadily ever since. By 2007 tea bags made up a phenomenal 96 per cent of the British market, and there can hardly be a home or workplace in Britain that does not have a stash of the humble, but vital, tea bag.

I am old enough to have used a tea strainer,not of your poncy tea bags in my youf.

It was Tetley in 1953 that drove the introduction of tea bags in Britain, but other companies soon caught up. In the early 1960s, tea bags made up less than 3 per cent of the British market, but this has been growing steadily ever since. By 2007 tea bags made up a phenomenal 96 per cent of the British market, and there can hardly be a home or workplace in Britain that does not have a stash of the humble, but vital, tea bag.

The only tea strainer we had was our teeth, it was horrible trying to seive tea through gritted teeth.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

You could at least have credited the source of the things that you didn't used to do. :okay:

http://www.tea.co.uk/the-history-of-the-tea-bag

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I don't think I've been in a telephone box for about 25 years.

I saw someone go into the phone box at the end of my street last week - I've never seen anyone in it since I moved into the street twenty seven years ago. I was so intrigued that I waited in my car to observe the phone call being made. I was disappointed as the phone box was used as a changing room. The user took off his coat, put on a sweater and put the coat back on again.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I saw someone go into the phone box at the end of my street last week - I've never seen anyone in it since I moved into the street twenty seven years ago. I was so intrigued that I waited in my car to observe the phone call being made. I was disappointed as the phone box was used as a changing room. The user took off his coat, put on a sweater and put the coat back on again.

And there I was thinking you were going to tell us it was a superhero.

(someone else thinking on the same lines :hello:)

Top Bottom