Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I used to get funny looks when I cycled in to meet the GF at work for lunch. But it was mainly not wanting to look at my lycra shorts. GF has banned me from going in in Lycra bottoms. I now have baggy shorts and some Hummvees. Just get the standard "How long did it take you?", "Do you want a drink?".
I do get my dad (who used to do a lot of cycling in the '50's but seems to have forgotten what it was like) suggest that I'll kill myself with the physical strain of riding more than 10 miles. He used to think nothing of riding from Doncaster to the Peak District for a day out on an Sturmey Archer 3 speed, steel frame :becool: with friends.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
You all get well good questions.

This is my best.

Person: "Did you cycle to work"

Me: "Yes"

Person: "Ow, ok"

No one cares!

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Generally people around me are pretty pro bike...but over the last two years two comments have stuck with me....

"Your mad to cycle on the roads". - Implying it dangerous and practically suicide - this one I get more than any other. My mum still has no idea how far/much I cycle. If I told her I cycle 80-120 miles a week I think she would probably explode!

"cant you afford a car then?" - this one wound me up a little. Not because it implied I was tight with my cash, but because of the guys mentality.

sabian92

Über Member
:laugh:
Generally people around me are pretty pro bike...but over the last two years two comments have stuck with me....

"Your mad to cycle on the roads". - Implying it dangerous and practically suicide - this one I get more than any other. My mum still has no idea how far/much I cycle. If I told her I cycle 80-120 miles a week I think she would probably explode!

"cant you afford a car then?" - this one wound me up a little. Not because it implied I was tight with my cash, but because of the guys mentality.

I think people who aren't cyclists see massive lorries and the odd "A cyclist was killed today in etc..." and think it's dangerous because that's all they know. I can understand why people think that, to be honest.

As for not being able to afford a car, people look at things different ways. People see bikes in Halfords for 90 quid and think all bikes cost around that. That being said though, it does still imply people are skint in a bit of a rude way although a car is really expensive when you add it all up.

I've not really had many questions although one of my fiancee's friends came round, saw me getting my bike out and did the typical "How do you ride on such skinny tyres? Don't you fall off?"

I was quite tempted to say If I fell off all the time I wouldn't ride on it, because I'm not that stupid. But, I had to bite my tongue and say skinny tyres are better because you go faster instead. ^_^

People always look confused when I say that, so I try and explain it and they walk away. :sad:

I've had a few of my college mates question me about my headcam (genuinely though) and looked like I was a bit mad when I said it was in case somebody knocks me off. They sort of gave me that look of "well, don't ride a bike then...". :laugh:

The best one to date came from my mother, who had clearly been watching way too much TdF when she asked me if the split in my saddle made it easier to pee whilst cycling whilst on tour. Explaining a split (woman's) saddle to her with tear running down my eyes is still one of those 'classic moments' whilst I was imagining what exactly the hole in the saddle could be used for.
Of this type but not this one...
selle-italia-diva-gel-flow.jpg

She now denies all knowledge of the conversation, naturally!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil and I can beat that. She had a contract in Lista, Norway. We cycled there. She had much the same conversation with various people when we got there. It took us two weeks and was about 950 miles. (And it was a fantastic trip). (We didn't do it in one day, though, unlike Colin).

"You're kidding. You can't cycle from England - you have to fly... don't you?"

Chap in work cycled to India, carrying a huge load of materials from the charity he runs as he did a lecture tour on the way. Think he managed around 100km a day. He only bought the bike a week before, and wasn't a "serious" cyclist as such, though very fit, and very very focussed.

To be strictly acurate he couldn't get a visa to get into pakistan from Iran so had to detour (boat or plane?) - so he did an extra couple of hundred miles in India to make up.

www.cyclingforhumanity.org

Fair play to him !

nathanicola

A comment i allways get that realy p's me off is when people look at my bike and lift it up saying " Isn't it light, i see how you can ride so far on it now"
I feel like replying "Yeah because i don't have to pedle it, it rides its self"

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My friends still can't believe I cycle 15 miles just to meet up with them for a coffee and a chat then cycle back! As for sitting next to me in a cafe whilst I am in my cycle attire......I think they are just about getting used to it :laugh:

Not strictly cycling , a work mate is training for a marathon at 8 minute mile pace, he did 23 mile run on Sunday .......

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
How does your fat arse fit on that saddle?

byegad

Legendary Member
Do you feel safe down there?
Is it comfortable?
Did you make it yourself?
How do you steer?
How much did it cost?
Can I have a go?....Please!

But I ride well designed bikes, three wheels and recumbent.:evil:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A chap at my church group took one look at my bike this week and said "is that a modern bike? where are the gears?, isn't it light! Can I have a go?"
He had a go, up and down the road and is now considering getting back into cycling if he can have a new toy like mine :smile:

Top Bottom