Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dora

You're riding all the way to _______________?!
You've ridden from ______________?!?!
You know that's like... more than 500 yards?
You haven't biked it here, have you? (no, the bike I'm sat on is a total red herring)

It's not so much the questions that bother me as the laughter that comes with them. I don't understand that.
I did have the conversation with an ice cream seller once, en route from Wigan to Blackpool. It resulted in free ice cream. Win!!

The questions I ask myself are more worrying though:
Ooh, that looks like too far to drive...I wonder if I could cycle it?

So far the answer has always been 'no' but it's only a matter of time!

Funny, I did the FNRttC last Friday on a 16" folding bike, and I got similar reactions from other cyclists: "you're brave", "get a proper bike", "is that thing comfortable for long rides?"

byegad

Legendary Member
Recumbents get different questions.

1. How can people see you down there?

Ans. Well you're speaking to me so I'd guess you can see me!

2. Is that comfortable?

Ans. Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz

3. Is it hard to pedal up hill.

Ans. Yes, but not that much harder than any bike and downhill it flies!

4. How much did it cost?

Ans. Depends on who asks! If I think it's a valuation for a potential thief I say; It's the only one in the country so it cost a lot to import. If it's a rider of a decent bike I'll tell them the real cost of a new one. So far only one rider has thought the price cheap. But he was on a £3000 MTB!

Recumbents get different questions.

1. How can people see you down there?

Ans. Well you're speaking to me so I'd guess you can see me!

2. Is that comfortable?

Ans. Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz

3. Is it hard to pedal up hill.

Ans. Yes, but not that much harder than any bike and downhill it flies!

4. How much did it cost?

Ans. Depends on who asks! If I think it's a valuation for a potential thief I say; It's the only one in the country so it cost a lot to import. If it's a rider of a decent bike I'll tell them the real cost of a new one. So far only one rider has thought the price cheap. But he was on a £3000 MTB!

All the above plus "did you build it yourself".
Could of answered yes as it arrived in pieces in a big box.

Is it a disabled bike.

How do you steer it.

Where are the gears.

Don't you feel vulnerable down there.

Can i have a go.

I like the look on peoples faces when i go shopping, walking around the store in cycling gear with a full trolley i get asked how are you gonna get that lot home on a bike. When i tell them about the trailer i get the look of horror when they ask how far i've got to go. FIVE MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You'd like it here, its flat.

No, I hate cycling on the flat. Flat lands NEVER give up, and are often windy. You can never beat the flat, its always there. ALL hills run out eventually before you get a sense of achievement followed by a rest on a downhill bit.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
And my personal favourite to date......

• How far is it to cycle in from yours? - 7 and a half miles - Oh.... how far is it by car? - Erm....... 7 and a half miles.... :wacko:

To be fair if I cycle my commute is 14 miles however if I went by car the direct route avoiding the town centre is 20 miles

SmileyBoots

Über Member
I've been asked several times how I balance my recumbent when I have to stop?

I do admit to putting one foot on the ground but I'd like to be able to think of a better answer.

I was even asked this once while sitting at the lights with both feet on the ground.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whilst walking down the corridor at work the other day while wearing hi viz jacket, tights, helmet.

'oh are you on a bike today?'.

I said..

'no, it's just that I love dressing up like this.. I feel kinda seeeexxxxxyyyyy'.

She walked away really quickly.

I tell people i do not like cycling really , i just like the kinky clothes and i am off to a special "club" on the way home :whistle:

Norm

I tell people i do not like cycling really , i just like the kinky clothes and i am off to a special "club" on the way home :whistle:
My reply when in cycling gear is to say that I'm really nervous about being run over when on the top deck of a bus.

When in motorbike gear, I usually say I've robbed the bank on the way into the office.

Davidc

Guru
Had a gem today at the hairdresser. The comments were from a seriously fat man carrying a copy of the Daily Mail and stinking of cigarettes who'd followed me in. He'd seen me on the bike and I was wearing a helmet. FF will enjoy this if he sees it!

Him: "You'll have a heart attack doing that at your age"

Me: "Had one a few years ago, do you think the cycling caused it?"

Him: "Then you certainly shouldn't be doing it. You'll be killed on the roads within 6 months anyway".

Me: "Hadn't you noticed that I'm a ghost?"

Him: "Don't be stupid, you've just been ***king lucky so far. Straining yourself like that isn't good for you".

Hairdresser (aimed at fat man): "Please mind your language, we don't have swearing here".

Hairdresser (amed at me): "Are you doing that ride from Watchet to West Bay again next year for the Air Ambulance, 'cos we'll sponsor you again".

Him (loudly): "Cyclists ought to be locked up. You'll have another heart attack soon anyway".

He then just sat in his seat and sulked!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
..............why do you lot never ride single file, its not as if you pay road tax on those things is it ?

Was a question I got asked today.

I don't suppose you were riding two abreast at the time were you? Because it's the kind of question that might get asked even though you were riding in single file..

Top Bottom