Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

People who don't know any better have taken to calling me "Bradley" in an affectionate manner.

These people aren't, I stress, the many cyclists who invariably drop me every time I go riding.

Stu

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Have you been hit? Is that why you have a camera? Are you sure you want to cyle to UNi even in the dark? Is it safe for you? Don't you need a new bike? Is it scary to cycle? Have you ever been stopped by police because your on a bike? The worst one was, would people find it strange that ur on a bike well because of what you believe in? Seriously I don't think I ever felt so sorry for a persons' dumbness.

About my bike. How long have you had that bike for? And your not going to get a new one?

Cress1968

I usually get... "how much was that" "is it heavy" and my all time favourite from work colleagues " it's raining .. How will you get home?" .... I've had the last one that many times I just tell them I'm going to sleep in the canteen for the night.. That's usually answered with a " awww bless you" lol

HovR

Über Member
About my bike. How long have you had that bike for? And your not going to get a new one?

As I predominantly ride two Reynolds Steel bikes ('78 and '83 if I remember correctly) I sometimes get this.

My normal response is something along the lines of "Feel free to buy me one!" :smile:

defy-one

Everybody wants to pick Defy up and invariably say "blimey these top end bikes are so cool"
To which i say - this isn't top end but a starter bike :eek:

Cress1968

Oh I forgot one.... Usually after asking how much you sometimes get "bloody hell my car was cheaper than that" ... They fail to understand that with insurance, tax and petrol their car has probably cost them more than all the bikes that were in the shop the day I bought mine :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Everybody wants to pick Defy up and invariably say "blimey these top end bikes are so cool"
To which i say - this isn't top end but a starter bike :eek:
I have had this, quite a few times with my Defy :laugh:

One of my customers asked have I ever 'done a bike race'. I told them that I was cycling in the Tour of Britain Challenge Ride that coming weekend (8th Sept this year) and she asked how far. I told her it was 57.2 miles. She looked shocked to the core and asked "so you will be cycling for a couple of weeks then" :ohmy: Bless her little cotton socks.
When I said that I would be starting at 10am and would finish mid afternoon and THEN I would cycle the 5.5 miles home, she had to have a sit down. She then gave me a stiff talking too about telling stories to people, how I should not wind them up and that it isn't humanly possible to cycle that far in just one day.
I mentioned Brad Wiggins, Mark Cavendish etc, who she had heard of because of the Olympics and how they ride 140 miles a day, every day for 3 weeks with only a couple of days off. Her reply? "Yes dear, but they are MEN".

Top Bottom