This is where it all starts....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lochen

Hi everyone.
I've posted my intro in the intro bit, hello again.
I have many many questions and requests for advice. I've only just rediscovered the physical and mental buzz available to me by physical exertion. It's been forty years since I did any kind of training, which was weights and running (I hated bikes and cycling).
My wife bought me a bike to aide my weight loss plan. I've had it about two months and just love riding it. It's a Claude Butler Courier fixie. I already sense something 'missing' though. It happens when I ride past the odd dirt track my bike wouldn't be great on, or interferes with my half baked plan for my first twenty mile ride. It's used though, it was there when I was looking and it was cheap.
I've joined a gym and do mostly cardiovascular work and leg resistance stuff and I've lost two stone since August.
First question......
I've downloaded the Polar app to monitor my rides....would I benefit from the heart rate monitor? I've read about optimal and interval training and am curious....
Many thanks in anticipation.

Oh, I'm 60 years old male, ex smoker (6 years now) 6' 1" and weigh 14st 5lbs ( this week)

boydj

Legendary Member
While the HRM would be useful to let you know just how your perceived effort relates to your heart rate, you're at a stage where you should be working well within yourself to build up base fitness, and gradually increasing the time on the bike without worrying too much about distance. I'd use the money to buy a bike capable of doing the trails that seem to interest you so much

Interval training is useful, but should be started after a decent base level of fitness and endurance has been established.

MarkF

Guru
Junk the bike and get a hybrid that'll open all sorts of riding to you. I am maybe like you, I don't like one "type" of riding, I like to go wherever I feel I want to, so a 50 mile round trip to Skipton will be a mix of road/trail/towpath. Hybrids really got me going in cycling.

I do the gym too, but to look good, so weights only, bollox to cardiovascular, that's where the bike comes in.:okay:

OP
OP
L

Lochen

This old frame is never gonna look good again I'm afraid. cardiovascular it is for now..........
Hybrid do turn my head, they doooo. Calling into a bike shop tomorrow for a look and a chat.

MarkF

Guru
Good luck, I ride them on long tours & just shopping trips and I've owned Giant Escapes, Trek FX's, plenty of Dawes Discovery's and a Specialized Sirrus, all are good bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just be a little careful - a friend bought a pure cyclocross bike to use as a winter bike and discovered that you couldn't fit mudguards and for rides over an hour it wasn't comfortable. He messed around with the position for weeks before selling it. A gravel bike would be better for all-round use.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just be a little careful - a friend bought a pure cyclocross bike to use as a winter bike and discovered that you couldn't fit mudguards and for rides over an hour it wasn't comfortable. He messed around with the position for weeks before selling it. A gravel bike would be better for all-round use.

I'm with you on the gravel bike route had a Specialized Diverge alloy my self and sold it to get the Diverge carbon Ultegra model.. great bikes. :okay:

Top Bottom