this looks VERRRRY suspicious??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
So, has anyone reported it to ebay? You can report stuff that you 'suspect' is stolen.

Ok, I always stop short of calling someone I dont know anything about a thief!

But I have to admit this looks a tad dodgy, I have messaged the seller and asked some questions. I have also asked to view the bike as he/she is only a couple of miles from me.

Lets see what happens

OP
OP
carrock

carrock

tundragumski said:
I emailed the guy pretending to be interested in the bike; asked a few simple questions - no reply after 2 days.

I did the same- obviously, asking the frame size and basic spec is a bit difficult to answer............ well. if you've nicked the bike and now nowt about it, it is....

OP
OP
carrock

carrock

stolen

what worries me is, I've looking on e-bay for a few days for a bike for my wife, and I've seen quite a few obvioulsy stolen bikes.

How many more are on there, and shouldn't ebay be reinvesting some of our selling fees trying to put a stop to it??

Or amI being naive??

classic33

Leg End Member
Ebay are not interested in stopping the sale. Each sale earns them money.

I reported my own Pashley for sale after viewing & got no response from ebay

Just bid & asked a few simple questions, so now sit and wait.

classic33

Leg End Member
Asking this:

Dear waxadancer,

What do you count as local pick up. Feel that I'd have no problems either riding it back or getting it home.

You say its being sold after an accident, what if any damage is there to the bike. Don't wish to end up with a bike that can't be ridden.

Got this:
Dear,

I could deliver it as long as you can pay the petrol costs. The accident did not involve the bike, I was playing football at the time. I bought this bike from the paper about 6 months ago looking to get into cycling but never really bothered.

- waxadancer

classic33 said:
Asking this:

Dear waxadancer,

What do you count as local pick up. Feel that I'd have no problems either riding it back or getting it home.

You say its being sold after an accident, what if any damage is there to the bike. Don't wish to end up with a bike that can't be ridden.

Got this:
Dear,

I could deliver it as long as you can pay the petrol costs. The accident did not involve the bike, I was playing football at the time. I bought this bike from the paper about 6 months ago looking to get into cycling but never really bothered.

- waxadancer

At least you got a reply! Im still waiting to see if I can go and view the bike, and for more details of the spec.

classic33

Leg End Member
Reserve has been lowered. Maybe mine sounded more like I didn't care where it had come from.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
addictfreak said:
Well a bit more info in the form of photos, looks like a good spec bike. Still no reply to my request to view. If I could confirm it is a genuine sale, I might have a punt at this

If it turns out to be stolen, can't you get your money back through PAYPAL?

skrx

If you'd like to browse for other stolen bikes, at least half of what's on Gumtree seems to be stolen: Gumtree.

Find one that looks suspicious (e.g. picture from the manufacturer's website, "unwanted gift" etc) and stick the phone number into Google. Often it'll return all the other stolen bikes being sold:
Example 1
Example 2
(Click "cached" for these results, as often the bike's already sold and the advert removed.)

StuartG

slower but further
Oh doesn't she have a lot of boyfriends/holidays?

An easy nick if the police could be bothered. A civilian googler could easily compile a hit list and trace them back to probable theft reports. A simple visit ought to find some provable thefts What's the problem?

Do the Met want volunteers to do the hit list? Perhaps not a bad idea if we thought action would result.

e-rider

crappy member
....amazing how little is done by the police - this person could be tracked down very easily; still, even if caught they would only get 20 hours community service, which they'd never do anyway.

skrx

When my bike was stolen I did the same thing, and sent Covent Garden Safer Neighbourhoods Team saved Gumtree pages of my bike plus about 8 others being sold with the same phone number and crap excuses. They called back and said it was very clever that I'd found them, and that they'd be passing it on to their "intelligence team". I haven't heard anything else.

Top Bottom