This one is very nice...one uncareful owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
What I mean is that Wiggo was hyped by Sky and the UK media before the 2012 tour as such more glory was achievable if he won, the Kilburn boy done good story appeals to England. What they never counted on was Froome who had the ability to win the tour in 2012 and he was imho stronger then Wiggo.
In effect Sky did not select the best rider, the strongest rider, they went with the house wives favorite for PR and advertising reasons... The best man came second in the 2012 tour imho
I'm not a Froome fan either but I respect him for following the teams wishes and line as you correctly state it's a team sport. Wiggo however the following year did not follow the team line, even after Sky announced Froome as team leader for the 2013 tour Brad was still deluding himself and talking of defending the yellow and attempting to undermine Froome's leadership.

With regards to Cav, I would hope that any team would support the best sprinter and the best rider available, If someone was better than Cav I would hope the team would select them. If Renshaw is showing better form than Cav next year he should take priority with regards to team support.
I'm not stating for a moment that riders should not be supported by their team, but I want to watch exciting stage races and sprints, attacks on climbs, crashes and I want to see the best man win.
IMHO Brad's TdF was as exciting as watching paint dry, some of his competition were not present and he was pulled throughout the tour by his team, and permitted to win by a far stronger and more capable team mate in Froome.
Did he deserve to win the tour or course as he rode very well, but was he the strongest or the best rider.. I don't think so.
The best man came second.

I don't dislike Brad, I just don't warm to him
The only thing I don't like is the fact that on his 2013 ride with Brad event he did not mingle with his fans and hid away in a VIP area when not on his bike or the fact that he said very few words at the start, when people had come vast distance and paid money to see him specifically, I don't think that's a great way to treat your supporters.

What I mean is that Wiggo was hyped by Sky and the UK media before the 2012 tour as such more glory was achievable if he won, the Kilburn boy done good story appeals to England. What they never counted on was Froome who had the ability to win the tour in 2012 and he was imho stronger then Wiggo.
In effect Sky did not select the best rider, the strongest rider, they went with the house wives favorite for PR and advertising reasons... The best man came second in the 2012 tour imho
I'm not a Froome fan either but I respect him for following the teams wishes and line as you correctly state it's a team sport. Wiggo however the following year did not follow the team line, even after Sky announced Froome as team leader for the 2013 tour Brad was still deluding himself and talking of defending the yellow and attempting to undermine Froome's leadership.

With regards to Cav, I would hope that any team would support the best sprinter and the best rider available, If someone was better than Cav I would hope the team would select them. If Renshaw is showing better form than Cav next year he should take priority with regards to team support.
I'm not stating for a moment that riders should not be supported by their team, but I want to watch exciting stage races and sprints, attacks on climbs, crashes and I want to see the best man win.
IMHO Brad's TdF was as exciting as watching paint dry, some of his competition were not present and he was pulled throughout the tour by his team, and permitted to win by a far stronger and more capable team mate in Froome.
Did he deserve to win the tour or course as he rode very well, but was he the strongest or the best rider.. I don't think so.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that on his 2013 ride with Brad event he did not mingle with his fans and hid away in a VIP area when not on his bike or the fact that he said very few words at the start, when people had come vast distance and paid money to see him specifically, I don't think that's a great way to treat your supporters.

I agree with most of what you say, but there is one point that I don't. Unless I am mistaken Froomes track record before the tour was actually very mediocre, so there is no way Sky would have even considered him as team leader. Froomes climbing ability was known by Sky, but his overall stage race ability was lacking before the tour. The fact that he may have performed better at the tour is debatable (Wiggins time trialling ability for example compared to Froomes at the time), nobody will ever know what would have happened if Froome was the leader in that tour.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I agree with most of what you say, but there is one point that I don't. Unless I am mistaken Froomes track record before the tour was actually very mediocre, so there is no way Sky would have even considered him as team leader. Froomes climbing ability was known by Sky, but his overall stage race ability was lacking before the tour. The fact that he may have performed better at the tour is debatable (Wiggins time trialling ability for example compared to Froomes at the time), nobody will ever know what would have happened if Froome was the leader in that tour.

Totally agree with you, but from my perspective (judgemental bias opinion) Froome looked stronger overall in the race and I would have liked to have seen them let loose to race one another by Sky so we never had that question to ask.

Totally agree with you, but from my perspective (judgemental bias opinion) Froome looked stronger overall in the race and I would have liked to have seen them let loose to race one another by Sky so we never had that question to ask.
Agreed, if that had have happened this year, with a Wiggins on top form, then I am sure Froome would have won, but the previous year, I don't know. Mind you it all makes for exciting stuff and debate.

Boy1608

On that I totally agree. If people pay to see you then you have a duty to get in front of them. I also didn't like the fact he didn't congratulate froome on his win this year. Just didn't come across as very sporting.

Top Bottom