This running malarkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I started via a couch to 5k a couple of years or so ago as going out on the bike for a decent ride takes a lot longer, I can run a 5K then be home and showered in an hour, it's more likely to be 3+ if I'm out on the bike. Plus it's something I can do at work (ship has a treadmill). I am still no quicker now than I was when I completed the c25k and definitely no more than 10k.
Biggest problem now is the treadmill has died so when I get home next week it will be 4 weeks without a run. First one will be tough.
Ship needs a trainer or exercycle, and a treadmill, although that must be a real adventure in rough seas

Ship needs a trainer or exercycle, and a treadmill, although that must be a real adventure in rough seas
I try to time runs to coincide with port visits, once a week normally but can be less. Weather can make it interesting but as I'm in Brazil the boat moving about tends to be less of an issue than the 35 degree summer temperatures in the 'gym' at the moment. The gym being the foc'sle store.

Sandra6

Veteran
I try running every now and then, but I just don't seem to get any better at it.
I don't hate it but I don't love it the way i do cycling.
It became more of a challenge though, could I run 5k? Turns out I can't. I can however run a mile in slightly under 10 minutes on a good day. If I do much more it hurts.
If I'm short on time and feel the need for exercise, I'll run, otherwise I'll get me bike.
Joke at work if I mention running is to ask if my bike is broken.

Running is much harder, yes!! Ripped a calf up last time I tried and bought a bike while I was injured. The plan was to keep fit with a cycling commute and run for a few hours at the weekend but then I realised how draining cycling actually is, so I've not gone back to the running...yet...hats off to you & good luck :thumbsup:
TR I can relate to that as well. I tore my calf muscle so bad it meant an hospital visit but as much as I would like to say otherwise I just love running. I enjoy the bike but with running you can spend a lot less time getting fit and adjust your route literally on the hoof, sorry about that.
Did a short run earlier today and guess what calf muscle feels sore now. Looks like the next few days I will be back on the bike then.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've started running more that cycling these days. I don't enjoy cycling in the rain or wind. It's also a PITA drying off your bike after it has had a soaking. With running, rain and wind isn't very nice, but more tolerable and when you get in all you have to do is chuck your wet gear in the wash.

Same here, and working away from home I can't take a bike with me, but it's easy to run when stuck in a hotel.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
TR I can relate to that as well. I tore my calf muscle so bad it meant an hospital visit but as much as I would like to say otherwise I just love running. I enjoy the bike but with running you can spend a lot less time getting fit and adjust your route literally on the hoof, sorry about that.
Did a short run earlier today and guess what calf muscle feels sore now. Looks like the next few days I will be back on the bike then.

Ouch! Nasty, isn't it! Worst part is limping home afterwards. I was gutted at the time, TBH, because I'd got my minute mile down to just over 6mins on the previous run, over 5 miles. Was aiming to try a 1st competitive half marathon but pushed it a bit too hard. Thing is that I've sold my car now, so I have to ride in to work because public transport would take twice as long to get in.

Having a week off work in Feb though, so might knock out a few runs and give the cycling a short rest. My beautiful orange Adizero's cry in my general direction every time I go past them on my bike...though I can't really tell if they're tears from laughing so hard at my injury.

Hope your calves heal up nicely. I heard that peanut butter on a bagel immediately after a run is the best thing for it, if that helps.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Running is shït.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I try to time runs to coincide with port visits, once a week normally but can be less. Weather can make it interesting but as I'm in Brazil the boat moving about tends to be less of an issue than the 35 degree summer temperatures in the 'gym' at the moment. The gym being the foc'sle store.
A gym in the sauna!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I miss running as due to knee arthritis I can no longer do it. Much the same as most bike rides I do in that I do not enjoy the first 15 minutes, running was the same, first 2 miles horrible then once into it the pleasure was there. I think cycling only makes you really fit for cycling, from experience it has not crossed over that much to the other things I do or have done.
Ditto, only hips rather than knees!

I never did that much running, but I liked it, and yes - it was much harder than cycling. If you cycle slowly it is very easy but running slowly can still hurt your legs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was abroad on business, stuck in the same place for a couple of weeks. In a hotel with no gym. Cycling would be a death wish there with the traffic so I decided to go for a run instead. I'd brought some gear for just such an eventuality.

Half an hour plodding around some industrial estate getting stared at by the locals. Feck that. I remembered why I stopped running and started cycling.
Ha ha - sounds familiar ...
I lived at the edge of Salford in the mid 1980s, in Chapel Street, above one of the shops.

When I first moved there, I decided to go for a jog round the city to see what it was like. (I was nearly lynched when I made the mistake of referring to it as a district of Manchester!) What can I say ... the areas I ran round all looked a bit rough! I ended up on an estate with some hard-looking teenagers sitting on a wall, and they appeared to be considering whether or not it was worth their while getting down and trying to catch me to give me a good kicking. I burst into a sprint to get away from the immediate danger zone. Cries of "We'll 'ave ya next time, mate!" ringing in my ears ...
That was the last of my Salford running sessions! :laugh:

Top Bottom