This running malarkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
For the past few years, at about this time of year, i've started a couch-5k program but never see it through. I'm doing it again this year, but the difference is i've bought a secondhand Garmin Forerunner 910xt, with downloadable training plan. That should do it. More kit!

Truth is though, i've been doing loads of walking in the past couple of months. Where before i would have driven the car or rode the bike to the kindergarten or shops, i now walk. I've been using a Garmin Vivosmart, which is a fancy step-counter, and it's altered my life. Cycling now seems like a construct of the chattering classes. Of course, i will resort to the velocipede if distances and time dictate. But, I never use the infernal contraption engine carriage thing unless ordered too by a higher authority. Time can be enjoyed. For example, going to the shop - it takes 10 minutes to walk to the shop (or the off-licence in this case!) - that is 10 minutes to myself! There is very little else to be getting on with whilst your walking to the shop for ten minutes, 9 minutes, 8, now 7, 6 and so on. Pretty soon you are at the shop. - Another ten minutes to enjoy on the way home. I have been to the shop! - job done, goal achieved. Ah, now it appears i've forgotten something, back again :smile:

910xt - nice. Must be a few upgrading to the 920xt now it's been available for a few months. I'm wearing a forerunner 15 (vivoactive type tracking but with GPS for running), but very tempted with a Vivoactive once they start appearing. Does cycling, swimming and some smartwatch type features.

hoopdriver

Guru
@hoopdriver with 2:30 marathon times it would be rude not to start running again.
Maybe, but the awfulness of lumbering along at my present stage of (running) fitness is so deeply depressing that it is a very tough barrier to overcome. Let there be no mistake: I do mean I am lumbering. This is no false modesty here.

I do want to get back to it and so must swallow a lot of pride and go back to beginners....

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Maybe, but the awfulness of lumbering along at my present stage of (running) fitness is so deeply depressing that it is a very tough barrier to overcome. Let there be no mistake: I do mean I am lumbering. This is no false modesty here.

I do want to get back to it and so must swallow a lot of pride and go back to beginners....

Well, I've just run a mile, if an old fat fool like me can do it, it'll be a piss of piss for you.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I don't get it. How do folk do it? AND WHY?

I'm a runner. I can say this having had: two black toe, lost and finally regained a little toe nail, a ParkRun addict at sub 29 and now being able to do just over 7miles. Couldn't do any of that this time last year and I was quite a chunk heavier too! I love cycling but running is very personal to me. Nothing bar my shoes helps me on a run. It's all my own strength and effort and i'm in competition with my own mind. The sense of accomplishment and pride at beating myself by a few seconds or going just a bit further, it's all new and exciting. I am one of those crazies now who will go out in all weather. I've ran 7.34 miles to work at 6am this morning in the gales for no other reason other than to prove I can.

It's not for everyone but if your partner has a strong passion and you have signed up to share the experience with her I can bet she will be bursting with pride for you! There's a great community of runners out there with help and advice, I don't believe it's the done thing to promote and name but if you'd like more info feel free to PM me. Best of luck and congrats!!

Sara_H

Guru
As some of you may know, as well as cycling, the fragrant Mrs P likes a bit of running, she's done a couple of marathons, half a dozen or so half marathons, loads of 10ks, she is currently training again for the London.

Earlier in the year she says to me her firm are putting together a team for this would I like to join?

No, no I would not. I don't want to get up in the mornings if the freezing feckin' cold to the training, I'd rather sit in a vat of of battery acid and scrape the skin off me bum.

ANYWAY..for some reason and don't ask me why I did it, on a whim and without telling her until later, on Christmas Day I signed up for the run and told her after dinner. She was chuffed.

But BLOODY HELL, its hard, two weeks into the training and I am finding really difficult. It's much easier cycling.

I've just come in from a two mile run, in from the pissing rain, cold and wind. I'm soaked through!

I don't get it. How do folk do it? AND WHY?
My son who is 12 loves running. He does it for fun, I don't get it.

I have done running in the past for fitness and to help maintain a healthy weight, but I think it's like torture.

I have promised my son (like you I know not why) that I will try a bit of running training this year, on the proviso that my dodgy knee holds out!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, an update is due for those who give a flying frankfurter. 5 weeks in I've been on a training plan and I've been running every other day with varying distances, and on one day of each week I was doing a "cross train" so that would be cycling.

So far I have run 44.45 miles this month with 1 mile the shortest and 5.5 miles the longest. It's been blumen' hard work I'll tell you that for now't, I am not a natural runner.

The 10k coming up on Sunday http://winterrunseries.co.uk/route

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
Well, an update is due for those who give a flying frankfurter. 5 weeks in I've been on a training plan and I've been running every other day with varying distances, and on one day of each week I was doing a "cross train" so the would be cycling.

So far I have run 44.45 miles this month with 1 mile the shortest and 5.5 miles the longest. It's been blumen' hard work I'll tell you that for now't, I am not a natural runner.

The 10k coming up on Sunday http://winterrunseries.co.uk/route
Well done!

Stephenite

Membå
Well done, folks. I ran for 10 minutes non-stop yesterday evening. Through slush and sleet. Really enjoyed it. I'm doing a 5k training plan based around heart rate zones. I find it difficult to keep within the zones, so i didn't get very far in that 10 minutes - 2.5km! Quite laughable really since i used to run 10km under 35mins... oooh... about 30 years ago. The main problem is getting the legs used to it.

Anyone on Garmin?

Top Bottom