This running malarkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been slowly working my way up over the last few weeks from doing a few 90 second intervals, shorter runs etc. Last week did my first 5k run. However, i must have pushed it a bit too hard and since the run on wednesday last week i have had really sore knees. Not sure if i'll be doing it any more as i reckon this kind of sustained soreness (probably swelling) isnt good. Never had any issue on the bike of course.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Just got back from the gym...my first treadmill 5k complete!!! (but it did take 40 mins)

I have never run for that distance before so I started really slowly for the first 2.5k then did little intervals for the last 2.5.

@Mark1978 Im a hefty lump of 100kg, I used to get sore knees, ankles and shin splints. I have changed my technique to more of a forefoot style. My calf's ached for a week or so but seem to be getting used to it now. No more knee or ankle problems, and my shins feel fine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIvxZJ5eWU

Last edited:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Just a little update ( @Mark1978 )

Following from my first 5k yesterday (even though it was at a sedate pace) I didn't really feel any pain or aches today. I could feel in my muscles that I had done more than usual, but nothing that stopped me popping to the gym and doing 2.5k toady.

I used to get sore knees and shin splints that would lay me up for a few days if I did any sort of distance, and Im only talking 1k or so with my old heel first technicque.

With the barefoot technique it seems I will be able to stick to my little and often running plan, Im really pleased with the technique (and without being too smug... Im pleased with myself too!)

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Two things..
1) Decided I am getting the Garmin Vivo Active, due out end of March and I can swim with it too!
2) Deffo going to join a running club this year. Been for a meet and greet with one club and due to meet another tomorrow... excited!! This one has use of a local running track and I really like that idea. Both great and well run but this one I can pay an extra fee and have track access all year round..oooh!

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Not sure if i'll be doing it any more
Oh thats a shame, sorry to hear you've had troubles. I suffered a lot when i first started but it had a lot to do with positioning, landing/shoes and post run care. I'm really happy I found what works for me because I don't have the same problems now. Hope you're feeling much better now!

my first treadmill 5k complete

Yay:wahhey:Love it! Well done you!

Oh thats a shame, sorry to hear you've had troubles. I suffered a lot when i first started but it had a lot to do with positioning, landing/shoes and post run care. I'm really happy I found what works for me because I don't have the same problems now. Hope you're feeling much better now!

Ive been out a couple of times since and my knees have been fine. Unfortunately, its now my shins that are giving me grief :sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd forgotten about this thread!

I reached the last week of my Couch to 5k programme, and have run two lots of 5km since - one at 27 ish minutes, and one at 28 ish minutes.

Just did a 4.3 miler at lunchtime. Just a little bit of pain in my right shin, but no-where near as much as previously which is great. I've been trying really hard to run more on the ball of my feet as opposed to the heel, but finding it hellish difficult to change the way i'm running.

Stephenite

Membå
Today i managed to run for 15min twice, with a 3min break between them :smile:

And that was on a treadmill @Mark1978. I find it much less jarring on the ligaments and joints than running outdoors. Though i aim to continue outdoors as i prefer the fresh air, etc.

Top Bottom