This running malarkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a go on the treadmill for the first time yestarday. Found it strangely difficult to keep balance and kept accidentally pulling out the safety cord with my hand while running.

I agree about being outside, got bored on the treadmill to be honest. Was fun when i got off though, felt like i was moving everywhere really fast. Some bizarre effect that it has on the brain. I guess it's not just me that feels that.??

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Down to 25:07 now. Did one dog hindered run (he tries, but he only has stumpy legs) at 25:38, and then went out without the dog on Sunday to try to do a quicker run (and managed 25:07). I guess the aim now is to keep going, primarily, and secondly, to see whether I can break 25.

perplexed

Guru
I used to run two or three times a week 15 years ago. I went from struggling on a mile run to completing the Sheffield (think hills) full marathon. I wasn't fast at all, and actually never enjoyed it that much. But what it did do better than anything else, cycling included, was keep the weight off.

I haven't run for a good 10 years, and I'm sure I'd feel rubbish at first, but I'm toying with the idea of starting again to shift a stone.

I find treadmill running incredibly dull. Turbo-trainer too for that matter. I'd rather either go out in inclement weather or not bother at all. Or go for a swim.
Anyhow I usually don't have much options but to use the ships treadmill here at work, but it's broken at moment. The deck is however cargo free, so round and round and round it is then. 5 minutes clockwise, 5 minutes anti-clockwise. Repeat several times

Attachments

• IMG_20150304_165905799[1].jpg
    IMG_20150304_165905799[1].jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When you didn't post for a while after running this I thought you'd snuffed it. And looking at the heart rate you nearly did! :smile:

Eckshooally, that wasn't my heart rate, it was Mrs Wife's who was running with me. She put on my HRM by mistake and my Garmin picked it up!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have done two more 10k runs since then.

One in Bournemouth I was two seconds faster, but there some feckin big hills to get up.

Running7.jpg

And one in Wokefield, this was a bit slower it was a filthy day, windy and the run was cross country, so slippery paths, hills, stiles to cross and I had to stop for a wee.

Running8.jpg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Finally, after 12 weeks of training running 162 miles, I completed the Oxford Half Marathon today, my first ever. 2:17 something, a bloody miracle I started it to be frank, I put my back out again on Friday starting the lawn mower and its been blood agony. Still, I did it with the fragrant Mrs P in approx 2:17 and not walking. A great event, lovely weather and I could not have done it without Mrs P, her training plans and encouragement have been invaluable.

1-IMG_2307.JPG

#OH.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Finally, after 12 weeks of training running 162 miles, I completed the Oxford Half Marathon today, my first ever. 2:17 something, a bloody miracle I started it to be frank, I put my back out again on Friday starting the lawn mower and its been blood agony. Still, I did it with the fragrant Mrs P in approx 2:17 and not walking. A great event, lovely weather and I could not have done it without Mrs P, her training plans and encouragement have been invaluable.

View attachment 106426

View attachment 106425

Well done. Excellent achievement. :notworthy:

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 106426

View attachment 106425
Fantastic @CarlP Well done mate!! You beat my Great North Run time by 13 minutes! Superb

Top Bottom