This wheel's not right is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
It's not just me is it?

Had my rear wheel rebuilt with a new rim, but those spokes don't look right to me.

I don't remember what they looked like beforehand but surely they shouldn't be bowed and certainly shouldn't bend two ways.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
As we say in the Wyoming...You been hosed, Dude. Went and checked my B's rear wheels, albeit one is a close ratio 3 speed and the other a single. Spokes are completely straight with no bends except for coming out of the hub as they all do. I have never laced a wheel but I would bet those spokes are too long. Sorry, I know you have been dealing with issue for a long time already.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blimey. Someone charged you to do that to your wheel? Blimey. Send the pics to Brompton and see what they have to say.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Pleased it's not just me thinks this then.

My parents are staying with me for a couple of weeks to look after my daughter during the holidays, so my dad picked up the wheel for me because I was at work.

I think he was in a hurry because the shop was about to close, but he's a (car) mechanic and it was him that noticed it when he got back to the house.

He did go and compare it to the front wheel, but they're laced completely differently so it was hard for him to check, but it was the first thing he said when I got back in from work.

I'd already paid over the phone, but he's said he'll take it back for me today.

The problem is that every day I don't cycle costs me more money. At this rate it could end up being cheaper to have just bought a whole new wheel instead of having my old hub rebuilt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Just looking at the different bikes, I think you're right about the spoke length.

Looks like they've ordered spokes for the two speed and tried to make them fit the three speed.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
image.jpeg
Actually, scrub that. I can see what's wrong. They've put the spokes which exit the hub underneath over the top of the ones which exit from the outside.
image.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
View attachment 141179 Actually, scrub that. I can see what's wrong. They've put the spokes which exit the hub underneath over the top of the ones which exit from the outside. View attachment 141178
That's the correct way to spoke a wheel IME. I think the effect is exaggerated due to the wheel size but I have always built my wheels that way. If the spokes are tight and the wheel is true then I think it should be good to use.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Really? Every other picture I can find online shows it the other way up.

Top Bottom