Thumbs down to the RAC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
:popcorn:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got offered a hire car once with my accident cover, said ok, bloody thing never turned up. I never bother with them. It was the only time I actually needed one as was off work on holiday with two young kids and wanted to get out.

screenman

Legendary Member
If the car is off hire and nobody told you where to return it too it is their problem. Do not drive it as once off hire it will not be insured for you.

A lot of these are "management solutions"

We had one called when our car was side swiped by a car coming out of a junction

First we had a car delivered.... a two seater sports cabriolet

So we explained that with the two of us and a disabled eighty year old mother, it was unsuitable as a replacement for an MPV

We were informed that this was the only option and if we refused it then we would not get a replacement car.

So we accepted as an interim and were asked to sign an electronic PDA but were not allowed to read the terms... so simply wrote, "I was not allowed to read the terms" in the space and off they went

So we were stuck, spoke to insurance company who (when threatened with the DDA) allowed us to hire a suitable car independently, and informed the company

The Cabriolet then sat in the drive for 5 weeks waiting for them to pick it up

Then they arrived and we were asked to sign and sate the PDA again..... we refused as we wanted the date that we notified the firm so we were not paying for the additional 5 weeks hire

Again signed "Not allowed to read the document" and dated it

We were then informed that WE were liable for the additional 5 weeks hire as they were now not being paid by the insurance company

They provided a copy of the agreement document with our "signature" inserted as proof .. shame it read "I was not allowed to read the terms"

We ended up in the ironic situation of using our insurance's legal cover to defend ourselves against the insurance company's own agents

Eventually the Insurance Company settled with us for our expenses and the agent did not get paid for the hire of the cabriolet as they agreed that they had been notified on the delivery day on the grounds that it was unsuitable

It was however a fight to get there

Top Bottom