Thursday Night Ride to the Coast - 17th April to Felpham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Thanks everyone for a great ride. Nice to be relatively warm on a night ride again and lovely to catch up with so many of you. As we were approaching Barnham, I decided to jump on the next train, rather than join the breakfast queue. This was a good choice, they have a little cafe on the platform and I was able to get a nice bacon sarnie and a cup of tea, for my journey to Lewes. I then cycled home over Ashdown Forest. Into a headwind all the way, but the scenery and great roads made up for it. Finished the day with 114 miles on the clock. As always I took a few pics, contact me if you want the originals.
P1030337.JPG
P1030338.JPG
P1030340.JPG
P1030341.JPG
P1030347.JPG
P1030349.JPG
P1030350.JPG
P1030352.JPG
P1030353.JPG
P1030354.JPG

Trickedem

Guru
And some more:
P1030355.JPG
P1030356.JPG
P1030357.JPG
P1030358.JPG
P1030359.JPG
P1030361.JPG
P1030362.JPG
P1030363.JPG

Attachments

• P1030365.JPG
    P1030365.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1030368.JPG
    P1030368.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 42

kimble

Veteran
Oh, out of interest, for a while someone (I'm not sure who) appeared to be wearing a jacket composed *entirely* of Scotchlite. What was it?

Normally I'd dismiss such a thing as hi-vis overkill, but the effect of the light of my head torch on it was magical. At oblique angles the reflective became iridescent: Not only did it gently fade through all colours of the rainbow as I passed, at close range my eyes would each see a slightly different colour, giving it a ghostly 3D effect that was wonderfully surreal on a dark lane.

(I also wonder how well something like that survives a few washes and oily stains...)

U

User10571

Oh, out of interest, for a while someone (I'm not sure who) appeared to be wearing a jacket composed *entirely* of Scotchlite. What was it?

Normally I'd dismiss such a thing as hi-vis overkill, but the effect of the light of my head torch on it was magical. At oblique angles the reflective became iridescent: Not only did it gently fade through all colours of the rainbow as I passed, at close range my eyes would each see a slightly different colour, giving it a ghostly 3D effect that was wonderfully surreal on a dark lane.

(I also wonder how well something like that survives a few washes and oily stains...)
His name is Ben and he's mile munching in preparation for a London to Paris. It was the jacket's (and Ben's) first FNRttC.
The jacket is indeed entirely retro-reflective. Whether it is Scotchlite or not I don't know, our in-depth discussion of said garment didn't go that far.
The jacket performed exceptionally well if the observer were to place themselves between the jacket and the rising sun, with their back to the sun.
Similar effects of iridescence, plus ample opportunity to cast giant shadow rabbits on the jacket.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Boy, I slept well last night. And not too achey today either.

There are a few (3) photos here: http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/fnrttc-felpham-2014-04-19.445/view

Thanks to Charlie, Eddie and Michael for joining in the afters ride, and apols for messing up the groupsave. No matter how many times you said "Clapham Junction", and no matter that the words "Clapham Junction" were printed on the ticket, my brain interpreted it as "East Croydon". Then, when I did try to get a ticket from East Croydon I found that there were no trains due to London Bridge works - which I knew full well, but had forgotten - so I had to ride over to West Croydon, then realised that I couldn't remember where it was.

You read of oxygen-deprived climbers making stupid decisions on top of Everest. I think sleep deprived cyclists in the "Death Zone" of railway travel home are similar.

Thanks as usual to Simon, the wayfinders, the TECs and the all-up lady, and to the Cabin peeps.

Zee

Veteran
Lovely ride, good to see so many familiar faces. Great job from the Cabin Cafe in the face of eighty cold and tired cyclists.

In the end, not too warm, not too cold and had a perfectly timed hillclimb into the sunshine at Arundel. Couldn't have hoped for better conditions - plus learnt a few things about the storage and transport of asparagus, that Mini Hatler is an absolute champ, cows are colourblind and aka_bob was a professional cattle herder in a past life.

Thank you Simon and thank you TEC's, I definitely don't say this often enough. Enjoy your Easter weekends all.

a few pics from along the way:
http://imgur.com/a/ACDLD

How did the ride to Eastbourne go @jefmcg?
thanks for asking. It won't surprise anyone that by the time Vicks arrived I'd reduced my ambition to Brighton.

Half way there we stopped for a caffeine hit in Goring and it was there I realised I'd caught my partner's chest cold. By the time we got to Brighton I was feeling pretty miserable. I worked out I was only a couple of miles off an imperial century, but I didn't have it in me. Then I remembered I'd cycled to the start, so was actually at >108 miles.

Strange having a chest infection after a long ride; the muscular aches added to the rest of the symptoms makes you think you've got the 'flu

Still, it was a pretty nice ride. The day was lovely and while there were a few people in the towns, it was pretty clear.

Note: the cafe in Goring had an arty photograph of a sand dune; even Sussex residents think you need sand on a beach.

Typed from York House Hotel, Eastbourne where I am watching broadcast TV for the first time in ages. It's very bad.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Great ride, loved the sound of owls, swans and lambs in the fields.
Clothing choices are so much easier when you are 100% certain it wont rain, although it was bloody cold for 5 minutes as we left the cabin.
I bailed out at Arundel Station to catch an early train home as i had other commitments. Still managed 90miles including into and out of London.
I had an interesting chat with a mountain biker on the train, he said it looked we had a nice day ahead of us, he was a bit shocked when i said i was on my way home, having left home at 10.30pm the night before.

Top Bottom