Tinkov has got ov ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
That has to win the prize for the worst team kit in a long time.

They did this last year as well, with their "training kit" - here's last years tasty number, although given that it is "Camo" you might not see it...
2015-tinkoff-saxo-bank-cycling-jersey-font-b-Camouflage-b-font-cycling-font-b-clothing-b.jpg

blazed

220lb+
Cycling just isn't marketable enough. Most teams struggle every year.

Doesn't help that the riders themselves are not big stars outside of cycling. Look at SPOTY, Froome is a massive outsider.

Most sports have starts who even those who don't follow the sport know a lot about, there hasn't been anyone like that since Armstrong.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ha ha ha!

It starts slowly but finishes well!

That is farking brilliant. I'm quoting this guy next time I quit a job:

"...But if nobody else cares about the future of the sport, then why should I care? F*ck all of them! That’s my personal reason why I want to leave professional cycling." - Tinkov

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
Ha ha ha!
It starts slowly but finishes well!
That is farking brilliant. I'm quoting this guy next time I quit a job:
"...But if nobody else cares about the future of the sport, then why should I care? F*ck all of them! That’s my personal reason why I want to leave professional cycling." - Tinkov

He really did sound like a kid throwing his toys from his pram.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wonder if Saxo Bank's co-owners will get back behind Bjarne Riis again.

I will keep an eye out for the Danish whispers. But I am not a fan of Riis. Another cyclist who made a career on a lie he didnt give up for decades.

screenman

Legendary Member

Doesn't help that the riders themselves are not big stars outside of cycling. Look at SPOTY, Froome is a massive outsider
Most sports have starts who even those who don't follow the sport know a lot about, there hasn't been anyone like that since Armstrong.

Cyclist have won 3 out of the last 8 SPOTY that is not too bad.

I will keep an eye out for the Danish whispers. But I am not a fan of Riis. Another cyclist who made a career on a lie he didnt give up for decades.

I have a feeling that Denmark/the Danes want to have a team similar to that of Team Sky, and equip it with predominantly Danish riders and one or two 'others'. Thor Hushovd is getting his own 'Norwegian' team together and suspect Saxo Bank might do the same as Sky.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Wonder if Saxo Bank's co-owners will get back behind Bjarne Riis again.
Now that would be a massive departing finger to the UCI by Oleg.

I know the comparison is often made with F1 and the difficult relationships between the FIA (read UCI), commercial rights holders (Bernie/ASO) and the teams, but if anything it's even trickier in cycling as the teams have less to bring to the table. At least the F1 teams produce the cars.

I recently ploughed through some of the articles on this site. The authors state the financial and economic issues of running a pro-cycling team quite nicely (and without an Oleg-style f*** in sight). If you're feeling worthy, you might find it interesting. The proposed roadmap is just wishful-thinking though IMO and has a strong 'mercan bias. Franchises anyone?

Doesn't help that the riders themselves are not big stars outside of cycling. Look at SPOTY, Froome is a massive outsider.

Oh blazed, you were doing so well.

Tinkov has made a few good points but he seems to have made them in a way which everyone can ignore and calling for race boycotts seems a fairly unlikely way of achieving change, especially when ASO control so many of the races sponsors absolutely want to be seen at. Committing commercial suicide would certainly change things fast though.

I didn't think he'd stay in for long but it will be a shame to see him leave, he's brought a great deal of character to the sport.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Tinkov has made a few good points but he seems to have made them in a way which everyone can ignore and calling for race boycotts seems a fairly unlikely way of achieving change, especially when ASO control so many of the races sponsors absolutely want to be seen at. Committing commercial suicide would certainly change things fast though.

I didn't think he'd stay in for long but it will be a shame to see him leave, he's brought a great deal of character to the sport.
There's an awful lot not to like about Oleg, but he's certainly more entertaining than Dave Brailsford. Oleg and Sir Dave are odd bedfellows though.

Top Bottom