Tipper truck - just now....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need a rant.....

I live in a small village and I bike to the local shops on my hybrid - it's only half a mile max. Just been out to get some bread for lunch, pulled out of the drive, road clear both ways, no traffic either way, but visibility to the right down the hill is poor at the best of times past cars parked on my side of the road. Cars parked on the right up the hill as usual so only one lane up the hill to the church. Quickly aware in the mirror of a tipper truck coming up behind me at speed maybe 60 yards behind. I had 50 yards to go to a LHS pull-in at the church, so took primary up to the pull in as there could be just enough room for a truck to try squeeze past - car OK with care (and I usually do let them past), but truck very marginal, and definitely dangerous.

That set him off. Air horns blaring but I was not going to be intimidated. Pressed on up the hill, indicated left and pulled in to a cacophony of air horns, at which point he came to a halt (and I stopped behind him) because there was not enough room to get around a car coming the other way - but he squeezed through and the car driver was clearly similarly angry about the truck's driving. I delayed him for all of 5 seconds.

There was the big yellow warning sticker on the back of the truck about cyclists not passing up the inside. Ho ho. Didn't get the reg - covered in mud.

Followed him down the hill now to a x-roads in the middle of the village, where he proceeded to turn left past the shops through two lines of parked cars, at speed, with barely a fag paper either side - horn blaring all the way. Watched him turn right at the end of the shops but no company name - plain white cab - so no one to ring and chase. Dibble won't care so no point in ringing them. There is a new building site down the hill a bit, went there to see if they'd sent the truck out, but not from them - they are sending their muck away from the village so downhill (very sensible).

I can now see how people get killed in London - they either pass up the inside, or get left hooked, or give in to intimidation. Fortunately, I'm prepared to take primary and hold it until I'm prepared to be passed - I learned that on the old ACU motorcycle training course many years ago - manage the traffic behind you. I can easily see how someone less stroppy (or confident) than me would come off worst.

And breathe.... (I'm shaking.....)

Katherine

Guru
Well done!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can now see how people get killed in London - they either pass up the inside, or get left hooked, or give in to intimidation.
I feel that "pass up the inside" as a widespread factor is a myth often put about by victim-blamers and I suspect there have even been more cases like http://road.cc/content/news/98457-mile-end-death-cyclist-named-another-critical-after-coach-crash where a tipper truck behind "just ran over and crushed him".

I apologise to any responsible tipper truckers, but there seems to be something seriously unsafe in current operations of that class.

Well done and glad you got through unscathed. Thanks for trying to get the details - I wonder if the muddy number plate was tactical? That's illegal anyway, so if you spot them often, the police may take an interest even without identifiers.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Top man , well done but I would have been bricking it. Pitty you couldn't get the registration number or a company name, maybe someone got him on camera?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@andytheflyer : top man, I do the same and hold my line until I consider it safe to let people past me, I've had revved engines an inch from my tyre and horns blared but not a raving loony like that guy sounds. it does take experience and bloody mindedness (YKWIM) and balls of steel not to waver though - not all people have it. maybe next few times you're out have a water bottle handy and if you see Mr Impatient again, swoosh his reg plate clean so fellow rage victms and gatso cameras can see him in all his glory .

I feel that "pass up the inside" as a widespread factor is a myth often put about by victim-blamers and I suspect there have even been more cases like http://road.cc/content/news/98457-mile-end-death-cyclist-named-another-critical-after-coach-crash where a tipper truck behind "just ran over and crushed him".

I apologise to any responsible tipper truckers, but there seems to be something seriously unsafe in current operations of that class.

Well done and glad you got through unscathed. Thanks for trying to get the details - I wonder if the muddy number plate was tactical? That's illegal anyway, so if you spot them often, the police may take an interest even without identifiers.

90% with you a lot of the reports I see seem to be passes from behind or ambiguous at best. The cyclist stay back stickers are a sop to doing too little too slowly to modify big vehicle design or staffing/standards inside them.

but there was one instance a few years ago now, a couple of Argentinian students (IIRC) in London, left hooked together, one died. A reported comment the survivor made, stuck with me, (+/-) : we rode up to the front of the queue but the truck was in the bike box and we had nowhere to go.

I've never been so unaware of my environment when filtering a queue, left or right, that I've made it to the boundary of an ASL with no idea if it is clear or not and I have always had chance to assess my options and decide whether stop and wait where I have got up to and roll away with the traffic rather than blindly roll on through a sense of entitlement or because I expect there is a well observed painted box on the road. Particularly not if it is a big vehicle adjacent to the lights.

oldstrath

Über Member

I think it's a design issue, at least in part. The damn things have huge blind areas, and should be completely redesigned. Guess the problem with that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's a design issue, at least in part. The damn things have huge blind areas, and should be completely redesigned. Guess the problem with that.
The manufacturers (Renault and Volvo have hindered better designs for larger lorries - not sure about tippers), the operators, the legislators or all of them?

oldstrath

Über Member
The manufacturers (Renault and Volvo have hindered better designs for larger lorries - not sure about tippers), the operators, the legislators or all of them?
The money -many operstors are marginal, without legislation there will never be a push for this.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The money -many operstors are marginal, without legislation there will never be a push for this.
hmmm.

the operators may be marginal but the manufacturers by ad large aren't as massive pan global companies. Also the operators as the purchasers of new vehicles can have a huge influence on future design ay no financial outlay simply as individualsand collectives through trade shows, haulier organisations etc and with whatever reps and dealers they encounter explain the problems from their point of view, and advise the solutions they thing would help in cab design, alerts whatever (I'm a big believer that the users are the best people to supply the house to fix the problems) that they and their drivers want to be seen as responsible professionals rather than responsible for ending the life of fellow human beings. They could begin to engineer a mindset up the supply chain by demanding better design and manufacture.

while operators can get away with saying 'it's profit margins mate, this costs too much and anyway I've bought some stickers, what more do you want from me' they are as culpable for letting the problem continue as are the multi billion pound motor manufacturers and legislators who live in Keith Peat world and put money ahead of human life.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You did well to hold you position on the road, aggressive driving is scary when on the bike.
Last Sunday we picked an early hour to ride in town, to avoid traffic.
Twice we got beeped by taxi drivers. My friend commented "time is money for them, never mind we are where we should be on this road".

Top Bottom