Tipper Trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
upload_2016-1-13_19-38-8.png

I noticed at the Mercedes Truck dealers in Barnsley today that they have a tipper truck demonstrator on site, it was built on the above chassis, called the Econic, it looks like someone is starting to think about the safety implications of such vehicles and hopefully other manufacturers will pick up on this and design something even better, but well done Mercedes for starting the ball rolling.

Just to clarify, that's a flat bed not a tipper. FWIW that style of cab design has been around for quite some time now TBH.

I've seen a few in various applications, but it's most common application seems to be as a bin wagon.

BinWagon001 - main.JPG

claudbutler

[QUOTE 4103734, member: 9609"]waste of time - you need to change the culture in the tipping / muck away industry. Its too cut throat, drivers are under too much pressure to get the job done.[/QUOTE]
Have you been watching the film Hell Drivers [1957]. Glad i wasnt cycling those roads at that time:evil:

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Just to clarify, that's a flat bed not a tipper. FWIW that style of cab design has been around for quite some time now TBH.

I've seen a few in various applications, but it's most common application seems to be as a bin wagon.

View attachment 115828
I know it is, there's no picture on Mercedes website of the tipper version, the tipper version doesn't seem to be a crew cab like the dustbin lorry version and the cab seems a bit bigger but with the low windows, in a four axle format.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4103734, member: 9609"]waste of time - you need to change the culture in the tipping / muck away industry. Its too cut throat, drivers are under too much pressure to get the job done.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It ain't the truck, it's the nut holding the steering wheel.

classic33

Leg End Member
Compulsory PPE equipment can't be charged for.

Drago

Legendary Member
They can make the trucks as safe as they like and it won't matter a jot if the buyers continue to get aggressive, low paid or paid-by-the-load, knuckle draggers to drive them.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Compulsory PPE equipment can't be charged for.
The difference between theory and practice is what they can get away with without being found out with proof that stands up in a dispute. Stuff can be optional in theory but if you don't hire it, you're deemed less caring about safety and put near the bottom of the list for job allocation, so effectively pushed to go work somewhere else without the inconvenience of firing you or formally refusing to give you an available job.

(I've not worked as such a driver but I worked for other IMO-corrupt firms when young and there are too many anonymous horror stories out there for them all to be false IMO.)

Top Bottom